We all know about the immense benefits of a zero waste laundry detergent. But what you might not know is that these benefits, by far, outweigh that of traditional detergents. Unlike traditional detergents
You might be the type that is about transitioning to the zero waste laundry detergent lifestyle, or perhaps, you have been using the zero waste regime for a while now, and probably looking for ideas to improve and make your zero waste laundry detergent life better and easier. Whichever category you belong to, we have got the perfect solution for those needs in this article. We shall be sharing with you some great DIY Laundry Detergent tips about how to make laundry detergent, not just any zero waste laundry, but the best natural laundry detergent. If you have a baby, then read through to the end to get the best baby laundry detergent ideas we have for you.
Zero waste lifestyle and laundry
When you choose to adopt a zero waste lifestyle and laundry, it means that you will be making the bulk of your laundry detergents yourself, instead of buying them from the grocery store. Sometimes, it can be pretty exhausting, but believe us when we say that a good DIY laundry detergent will go a long way.
Making a zero waste laundry choice comes with a lot of specs; you influence your environment by preventing resource extraction, reducing pollution from transporting, producing or disposing of materials, and reducing the number of materials that are sent to the incinerator. Now, here’s the kicker: zero water lifestyle is cheap and will save you tons of money. It also has the best baby laundry detergent for your baby’s clothes.
Treating your clothes: The zero-waste way
One awesome thing about zero waste laundry is that it is very ideal for any cloth type. Aside from washing your clothes with cold water, you could try adding a bit of vinegar to help remove stains, brighten, and soften your clothes. Using your zero-waste soap or laundry strips, alongside the vinegar, will help give your clothes the perfect treat. And also ensure that you sun dry your clothes if possible. Nothing beats the splendor of natural sunlight on your clothes.
Before you begin your laundry, the first thing you want to do is pre-treat your clothes from any kind of impediment or stains, especially before using your zero waste laundry detergent. And we have some great suggestions for you.
What another stain remover is as good as a dose of vinegar? Simply pour one-half cup of vinegar into a gallon of water, and generously apply it to the stain by using a clean cloth. After that, you can then proceed to wash your cloth.
Products you can buy:
- REMOVES TOUGH STAINS that come from grass, salt, grease, Red wine, ketchup, ink, blood, and underarm sweat with minimal effort. Works great on nylon, leather, linens, upholstery, clothing, walls, carpets, and more with NO discoloration!Works wonders on grass, grease, blood, red wine, ink, berry juice, ketchup and more!
- ALL NATURAL, 100% BIODEGRADABLE, SAFE! Say goodbye to stain sticks with harmful detergent chemicals. No artificial dyes or perfumes! Enjoy a natural lemon scent from lemon essential oils.
- SAFE INGREDIENTS: saponified coconut oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, litsea cubeba essential oil, lemon essential oil, lye, water, borax
- EASY APPLICATION! Simply add hot water, rub the stain stick directly onto your stain, and wash as you normally would! Deep stubborn stains caused by blueberries or baked in stains may require simple reapplication
- MULTIPLE USES! Apply directly to clothes, add cut pieces to laundry, or create your own solution by melting it in water
- MISSION: We're on a mission to rid the world of plastic waste while offering our customers 100% sustainable, ethically sourced products, made from natural and effective ingredients. Better for you. Better for the planet.
- PROBLEM: Plastic. Over 40% of plastic comes from product packaging (We're changing that!) 80 Billion plastic bottles disposed of around the world each year are from shampoo & conditioner alone. 8 Million tonnes of plastic end up in the ocean every year. 9/10 fish have ingested microplastics according to studies. By 2050 there will be more plastic in the sea than fish. Only 9% of ALL plastic ever made has been recycled. Every person on earth consumes 40,000 microplastics each year.
- SOLUTION: Ethique is the world's first zero waste and most sustainable lifestyle beauty brand. We use biodegradable ingredients and compostable packaging so all our solid bars leave no trace (except the luscious skin and hair it leaves behind, of course!). Our products are super concentrated so by switching to beauty bars, you're saving plastic bottles going to landfill. Ethique is New Zealand's highest scoring BCorp as well as carbon fiber neutral and living ware employer.
- JOURNEY: To date we saved our planet from over 8 million plastic bottles! We’ve converted thousands of fans to plastic free beauty and are genuinely making a difference to the amount of plastic waste made and disposed of every year. Our new goal is to save 50 million by 2025 (and we're on track already!). To put our money where our mouth is, each year 20% of our profit goes to charities fighting alongside us to protect the planet. Join the revolution and #giveupthebottle
- FLASH!: 3 Plastic Bottles Prevented - 1.1 Liters of water saved. Our first bar for the home, Flash is a solid laundry bar. Perfect for hand washing delicates, taking away when travelling or for when you are out in the wilderness & need to wash clothes, dishes or even hands. Not suitable for washing machines. Made with 100% biodegradable ingredients, pure essential oils & white Kaolin clay removes oils & dirt. Smells beautiful & will last for wash after wash. The perfect travel companion.
- Our Laundry Stick Stain Remover gets out those "impossible" stains like grease, perspiration, grass, coffee, wine, blood and juice. It's safe for all washable fabrics and easy to use.
- These are amazing and do not contain any harsh chemicals such as the commercial products do. They are made specifically for laundry and should not be used as a body soap.
- Just just wet stain and stain stick, rub in to stain, and wash. Very stubborn stains like blueberry or a baked in stains, you might have to apply the stain remover a couple of times.
- "TIPS": Cut or scrape off a little of the bar and throw in with your regular wash, it will brighten your laundry load.
- No Plastic packaging to add to the land fills. Truly Eco-Friendly, Go Green!
Your best bet here is to go for environmentally friendly laundry detergent. It will keep your clothes clean and fresh all day long.
Aside from using the zero waste detergent, ensure that you use cold water instead of hot water when washing your clothes. This is because
This is the part you find the best natural laundry detergent for your clothes. It dissolves easily in water and adding a bit of white vinegar will help do the trick.
Products you can buy:
- Cleans tough stains and odors and leaves no residue or harsh scent
- 32 ounce bottle is truly 3x concentrated and equal to 64 HE Loads/32 Standard Loads
- Eco-Friendly, Non-Toxic, Plant-Based, No Artificial Fragrance, Colors or Preservatives
- Packaged in 100 percent recycled cardboard and newspaper
- 70% less plastic than traditional plastic bottles
- ECO-FRIENDLY CLEANING POWER: Concentrated Laundry Powder works on all your laundry, from high-tech fabrics to delicates, washing away smells, stains, and left-behind residue from previous detergents.
- HYPOALLERGENIC: Non-toxic washing soda and powerful, natural ingredients work together to rinse fabrics completely and leave nothing on your clothes. The fragrance-free formula is ideal for those with sensitive skin and will not cover stains or odors with artificial brighteners or perfumes. Safe for hand washing.
- CLOTH DIAPER FRIENDLY: This detergent is safe to use on baby fabrics, effectively deep cleaning cloth diapers and other baby clothes between wears.
- LESS IS MORE: Each bag contains just four ingredients and one tablespoon per dose. No suds, just a deep clean that leaves fabric fresh and soft.
- EPA SAFER CHOICE CERTIFIED: Charlie’s Soap laundry soap is certified safer for the environment and is septic safe. The eco-friendly formula helps remove fats, oils, greases, and odors from sewer lines, saving your town money and water.
- EASY APPLICATION: Just dilute the Laundry Paste Bar using water in a container and you will have enough liquid Laundry Detergent to wash up to 256 loads. This is far more capacity than bottled laundry soap. You can make one gallon of liquid Laundry Soap easily with a single Laundry Paste bar or cut it in half to make less; whatever amount works for your space and container. No plastic bottle to dispose of because you can refill your container every time.
- PROTECTIVE QUALITIES: Tangie Laundry Paste Detergent is effective on fibers from delicate to athletic wear. Suitable for front, top loading and high efficiency washing. Our low-sudsing formula is concentrated so a little goes a long way! One-half ounce of liquid soap washes a standard load of laundry. No added fragrance to stick to your skin. Your clothes will be clean and fresh, not smelling like “Spring Rain’ or ‘Country Meadows’.
- NATURAL SOAP INGREDIENTS: Safe for your clothes, the environment and for your family as this soap is free of synthetic chemicals and harsh sulfates commonly found in other Laundry Detergents. Our Natural bar soap is made with plant-based ingredients: coconut oil, olive oil, soap nuts liquid, yucca powder, baking soda, oxalic acid, salt, and rosemary oleo resin.
- SAFE: Zero Waste Laundry Paste tough on your dirtiest clothes, smelly pet bedding & gentle enough for precious baby clothes. There are no optical brighteners in this soap so you can safely wash military uniforms and clothing with confidence. Make fibers soft and reduces fading, saving you money and clothes look better longer. This organic laundry bar is space-saving. A bar of Laundry Paste is no larger than a deck of playing cards. taking up minimal storage space and has shelf life of 2+ years.
- THE DIFFERENCE: The Laundry Paste dissolves to make Laundry Detergent Liquid that you dispense the same way you use your current brand of liquid laundry detergent. Choose your own container, one that works for you and your space. Refill your container forever! No plastic bottle waste. Use together with our Tangie Stain Remover Bar, you have a very powerful duo for all your washing needs around the house. If you are not satisfied after using our product feel free to return within 30 days.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: One recyclable and compostable box containing 140 pods
- EFFECTIVE: Proven performance and the power of 4 in 1 technology - detergent, stain remover, color protector, long lasting freshness
- GENTLE & SAFE: Non-toxic mineral based formula contains no harsh chemicals and leaves no residue. Free of dyes, chlorine, phosphates, and optical brighteners
- NATURALLY FRAGRANCED: Lightly scented with natural essential oils including lavender and eucalyptus
- HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Contains biodegradable plant-derived ingredients and formulated without parabens, dyes, phosphates, and optical brighteners
There are different varieties of zero waste laundry detergent to choose from. It ranges from the refill types to pre-measured packs of zero waste detergents. Your choice is unlimited.
Now, drying can be one difficult aspect of laundry for most people. And this is simply due to some crucial factors like weather conditions and the geographical area. Hence, the need for an artificial dryer.
Worried about the cost of electricity? Well, here’s a tip; dry your clothes on a low heat for a short duration, and hang them on a rack to completely dry. This also prevents your cloth from burning.
You can make your own DIY dryer sheet by cutting a t-shirt into any desired sheet size you want. Next, put the t-shirt into a container and fill it with vinegar until the t-shirt is saturated, but not soaking wet. Then include a few drops of essential oils (optional), cover the lid tightly, and shake thoroughly. Viola! Your dryer sheet is ready!
Products you can buy:
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Set of 6 Original Smart Sheep 100% Premium New Zealand Wool Dryer Balls (no fillers, don't settle for knock-offs, we strive to stay ahead of competition by offering exceptional quality and customer service) Felted in Nepal by women and minorities paid a strong living wage.
- AS SEEN IN / AWARD-WINNING: Yahoo Lifestyle, Real Simple Magazine, Good Housekeeping, Slate, Bustle, and ABC News. Winner of the 2019 "Best of the Best" product awards by Hearst Media.
- SOFTENS LAUNDRY NATURALLY: No Chemicals or Synthetics Used (great for those with sensitive skin & babies)
- SHORTENS DRY TIME: Saves time, money and energy! (use 3 balls for small/med load, 5-6 for large)
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Lasts for a Thousand-Plus Loads, Replaces Dryer Sheets & Liquid Fabric Softeners, Reduces Garbage Waste. (A healthy, petroleum-free alternative to plastic dryer steamer balls)
- STOP BUYING DRYER SHEETS - Set of 6 Original Ecoigy Premium 100% New Zealand Wool Dryer Balls (70mm size). Soften Your Clothes without the Harmful and Toxic Chemicals found in Fabric Softeners and Dryer Sheets.
- ALL NATURAL AND ORGANIC: Eco-Friendly., fragrance free and hypoallergenic. Perfect for babies and sensitive skin. Eliminates waste. 100% Biodegradable & Reusable for 1000+ loads. Extends the life of your clothing. One of the best zero waste products.
- : SAVE TIME, MONEY, & ENERGY: Pays for itself. Speeds up drying time by 20%-40%, saving money on electricity and dryer wear & tear. Leaves laundry NATURALLY SOFT without dryer sheets or fabric softener. Anti-static properties reduce wrinkles, static cling and lint for all types of clothing.
- FREE GIFT BAG. Beautifully packaged in a well-design reusable cotton bag. Unique and fun gift for baby showers, bridal showers, housewarming, mother’s day, your best friend, or college kids about to start their own laundry.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Don’t settle for imitators or knock-offs. These are the Original Ecoigy brand Wool Dryer Balls. If you are not 100% satisfied, please CONTACT US immediately. Ecoigy is American owned & operated. All products ship from the USA.
- Paper dryer sheets reduce static and add freshness to your clothes
- Compostable dryer sheets soften fabrics and are made from plant-derived fibers
- Garden-fresh Basil has a cool, crisp scent that is uplifting & grounding
- Contains plant-derived softening agents made without parabens and phthalates
- Mrs. Meyer's produces cruelty free dryer sheets. None of our products are tested on animals.
A perfect substitute for a dryer sheet is the wool dryer balls. They help your clothes dry faster and are very long-lasting. Adding a few drops of essential oils on them will also help give your clothes a nice smell.
There you have it! Zero waste tips that can guarantee you the best laundry experience. What do you think about our tips? Do they resonate with you? Do you have any reservations or opinions? Kindly leave them all in the comment section. We, at topmom.com, will love to hear from you.