Buyer's Guide: Spectra vs. Medela Breast Pump Comparison
The biggest difference between the Medela pump and Spectra pump is that the former has an open system while the latter has a closed system. A closed system prevents the milk from entering into the motor system and hence prevents it from any damage and least milk wastage. There is no way to ensure this in an open system. A closed system is more hygienic for the baby as it gets the least contaminated, and safety is not compromised.
Spectra Vs Medela: Short Overview
The Spectra S1 comes with an inbuilt battery, while AA type battery has to be inserted in the Medela pump. This implies the former is rechargeable.
The Spectra pumps are lightweight compared to Medela. The Spectra S2 weighs around 3.3 pounds while the Medela PIS is somewhere around 7 pounds.
Among the two best breast pump brands, the Spectra comes with a 2-year warranty while Medela 1 year.
Spectra comes with two bottles while Medella offers 4 bottles.
Medela comes with the best breast pump bag to keep the parts, but Spectra does not.
Both are made of BPA free plastic. Even the parts like flanges and the suction cup are BPA free.
Power-wise, the Spectra is more powerful at 280mmHg being the maximum, while for Medela, it is 250mmHg.
Spectra Breast Pumps
Most popular models:
They are so popular that one cannot ignore the whole Spectra S1 vs. S2 debate.
- Spectra breast pump reviews have highly applauded the closed system it has that prevents any contamination of the breast milk.
- It is of the hospital-grade and thus most powerful. It helps you pump as much milk as possible, which can be challenging in manual pumping.
- The suction that it comes with is adjustable according to your comfort.
- It has LCD lights and auto timer for you to see in the dark.
- It has a double electric pump type.
- They have the best breast pump reviews.
- Portable and light-weight.
- Very quiet.
- The rhythm can be adjusted as per one’s needs.
- The suction is great.
- Not enough accessories as compared to the Medela brand.
- Does not come with a bag.
Medela Breast Pumps
Most popular models:
- It comes with a cooler bag that helps in pumping milk without much fuss.
- The two-phase expression, if used with the maximum vacuum, can pump a lot of milk. It is great for motors which are busy and do not have too much time to spare.
- It has an open system.
- The parts are easily available.
- It is efficient and can draw out more milk in less time.
- Comes with more accessories than Spectra parts – 4 bottles and more flanges.
- Very easy to assemble.
- Comes with a tote bag which helps in keeping the parts organized.
- It is not very quiet.
- According to Medela breast pump reviews its suction leaves the nipples sore and painfully.
- More expensive than the Spectra models.
- Heavy and difficult to carry around.
- It does not have a closed system, which might lead to some contamination of the milk and cause motor damage.
Other Available Brands
In our Spectra vs. Medela report, we have decided to spoil you for choices and bring you other brands worthy of the breast pump comparison league. Let us go through them.
Spectra and Medela Breast Pumps: Which One is The Best?
In the Spectra breast pump vs. Medela breast pump debate, the Spectra is a clear cut winner by a practical margin for its versatility and all the convenience that it comes with. The reviews and ratings are overwhelming as women from different walks of life and all over the world are impressed with the features that are discussed above. However, the preference may vary with your accordance. For example, if you are someone who wants to wrap the pumping affair as soon as possible, you may have the Medela but if you are a mom who needs to travel frequently, go for the Spectra. From this vantage point, it is not easy to pass judgment for the Spectra vs. Medela breast pump case.
The Spectra breast pumps are, however, way more hygienic and, according to reviews, very comfortable. They also come at a more affordable price than the other. Your needs are absolutely unique and thus make your choice of the Spectra vs. Medela breast pump by visiting top-mom.com. They have the best products to choose from. Enjoy the joys of motherhood and breastfeeding with the comfort and convenience of a breast pump.