Similac Advance vs Pro Advance: An Overview of the Products
Similac is a renowned brand with product lines in baby formulas and nutrition. Both Advance and Pro Advance are by far the best organic baby formula you can get on the market today. Both are great options for infants who have allergies for general proteins, and specifically cow milk.
For mothers who cannot breastfeed for one reason or another, you should make your decision for your baby’s formula after considering Similac formula Advance vs Pro Advance. While both have many similarities, they have a few differences in nutrition, smell, and a few other things. This diversity is to make sure you can find the right formula for your young one. It would also be helpful to read Similac Pro Advance reviews if that is the direction you want to go.
Most importantly, these options are loaded with nutrients present in mother’s milk, hence the closest substitutes you can get. Also, any of them would be a perfect formula for gassy babies. It is also worth noting that you can get the milk either in powder or liquid forms.
- Similac is the first infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormone (no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and non-rbST-treated cows)
- Similac Advance Infant Formula is a nutritionally complete, milk-based formula for your baby's first year with all ingredients carefully selected to meet our high standards
- NUTRIENTS: Features OptiGRO, our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, special nutrients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby's brain and eye development
- TRUSTED FORMULA: Similac is the #1 brand chosen by moms§ (§Total US infant formula, all outlets as of 3/31/2018, Nielsen data)
For infants who were never breastfed, you can try this milk and see how your little one responds. It is worth going over the Similac Advance review first.
Similac Pro Advance
- #1 BRAND FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT*: Similac Pro-Advance is the first infant formula with 2’- FL HMO** designed to be closer than over to breast milk. (*IQVIA ProVoice Survey 12 months ending February 2020; **not from human milk)
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: Similac is the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormones (No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and non-rbST-treated cows)
- REDUCED FUSSINESS: Parents reported reduced fussiness, gassiness, and spit-up after 1 day (After switching to Similac Pro-Advance)
- TRUSTED: Similac is the #1 infant formula brand chosen by moms* and the #1 brand fed in hospitals (*total US infant formula all outlets as of 3/31/18, Nielsen data)
- BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E – nutrients also found in breast milk – helps support baby’s overall growth and brain and eye development
If the former option did not work well for your baby, you could try this one out. It comes with several advantages, but do not forget to take a look at the drawbacks.
Similac Baby Formula Ingredients
When faced with the dilemma of Enfamil vs Similac, looking at the ingredients may make your decision easy. For the latter, here is a brief on its ingredients:
- Docosahexaenoic Acid, short for DHA: is an omega-3 fatty acid found in humans. Theoretically, it supports fast development and growth in infants.
- Vitamin E: It helps reduce the level of free radicals in the baby’s system. In a way, it bolsters baby immunity and prevents common infant ailments.
- Lutein: found in plants, lutein is a carotenoid and popular antioxidant. It boosts brain functioning and development. Besides, it protects DHA and reduces the number of free radicals in the infant’s body. It does a wonderful job in memory and other cognition functions.
- Human Milk Oligosaccharide (HMO): it is an ingredient naturally available in breast milk. HMO plays a crucial role in the overall health and development of your young one. It also serves as a gut bacteria, hence vital for digestion.
Similac formula advance vs pro advance: The Differences
So, what differentiates Similac Advance vs Pro Advance baby formula? It is right from the taste, smell, all the way to the ingredients.
Pro Advance lines up vitamins and nutrients important to infant growth and development. However, the headcount of vitamins is less than in Advance. Baby formula reviews are divided on this, so it comes down to your baby needs.
Both products cause mild tummy problems such as mild constipation, vomiting, and fuzziness in rare cases. If you notice any extreme reactions, stop using and see a pediatrician immediately.
Similac Advance formula smells tin-like and may irritate your infant. On the other hand, the Similac Pro Advance formula has a bold smell from its ingredients, but it does not bother many babies. If your baby does not like one, you can try using the other.
Similac Formula Advance vs Pro Advance Differences Summary Table
|Similac Advance||Similac Pro Advance|
|Minimal gassing and vomiting||Minimal gassing and vomiting|
|r-BST treatment||No r-BST treatment|
|OptiGRO-ingredient fortified||OptiGRO-ingredient fortified|
|Some GMO ingredients||Non-GMO|
Commonly asked Questions
How close are Similac formulas taste to breast milk?
Nothing can rightfully claim the spot breast milk, but these two come close to doing that. They have varied and bold tastes, which may not be what you get from mother’s milk.
How much Formula is healthy for my baby?
It all starts with getting it right when mixing each formula. Typically, the packaging has details on how to mix. Ensure you follow them to the letter.
How much milk you give your young one will vary from baby to the next. We cannot, for sure, tell you what quantity is right for your little one. Start with small amounts and be keen to notice signs of hunger or being full. With time, you will know when to start or stop feeding your baby. It always takes time, so give your baby time.
Here is a summary for Similac Pro Advance vs Similac Advance quantities:
|Newborn to 1 week||6-20 ounces (180-600ml)|
|To 3 months||15-27 ounces (450-800ml)|
|Between 4-6 months||28-33 ounces (850-1000ml)|
|Between 7 month and 1 year||25-28 ounces (750-850ml), it also depends on the amount of solid food you are giving your baby|
Can I supplement mother’s milk with Similac Formulas?
Yes, both products are excellent substitutes for breastfeeding. They are fortified with nutrients that naturally come in breast milk. You can use them until your toddler celebrates the first birthday.
So you now know the main difference between Similac Advance and Pro Advance is in their ingredients. What direction will you go? Whatever decision, you have to put the health and safety of your baby before anything else. While these two Similac siblings have a lot in common, you should also know their differences to pick the right milk for your little bundle of joy. Things like smell and number of vitamins should also help you with the final decision.
- 1 Similac Advance vs Pro Advance: An Overview of the Products
- 2 Similac Baby Formula Ingredients
- 3 Similac formula advance vs pro advance: The Differences
- 4 Commonly asked Questions
- 5 Wrapping up