How We Tested
To come up with this article, we observed and tested different outdoor tanning lotions available on the market to choose our top product. We also explored and went through information from customer reviews, expert authorities like the FDA, Health Canada, NLM, among others, and read over 200 science research data.
Our mission is to get you an unbiased article that you can trust for the best self tanner safe during pregnancy. Therefore, we have checked all our products and their ingredients at EWG’s Skin Deep* Cosmetics Database and CosDNA, and other authoritative and trusted sources in the skincare and beauty industry.
We did all this to give you one of the most well-researched articles about the best pregnancy safe self tanner.
Top 5 Best Pregnancy Safe Self Tanners: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Beauty by Earth Self Tanner Review
- SAY HELLO TO PERFECT SUN KISSED SKIN: Our self tanner transforms your skin from pale to a natural glow. Transforms even the most fair skin from "meh" to "marvelous" without any of those nasty streaks, orange color, blotches, or dark spots.
- GET YOUR TAN WITHOUT THE SUN DAMAGE OR CHEMICALS: No sun needed here. This tanning lotion gives you a gradual sun kissed glow without sunburns or signs of early aging from the sun.
- YOUR SKIN WILL THANK YOU: Perfect alternative to brands that sell chemical filled tanners containing artificial colorants and fragrances among other toxic ingredients. Instead this tanner is filled with ingredients like organic aloe vera, organic shea butter, organic extracts and DHA. This vegan sunless tanning lotion is certified cruelty free and never tested on animals.
- WONT TURN YOUR SKIN ORANGE: If you have sensitive skin or are just plain pale, this is for you. Men, women and even teens use our tanning cream and look like they have just returned from travel a beachy vacation spot.
- GUARANTEE: LOVE IT OR LET US KNOW: We know you're gonna love what our self tanning moisturizer can do. We're so confident that this is the best sunless tanner, that we'll even guarantee it.
Great Smell: Botanic Tree Self Tanner Review
- Organic Self Tanning- Our Body and Face Tanner Botanic Tree is 100% Organic Extracts ingredients and all-natural bronze sunless tan lotion- No Oily Feel- No Orange at all- The Bronze Looks Natural- Does not Stain- No Acne or Sensitivity. It is the self tanning lotion for sensitive skin- No nasty chemicals, no parabens, and cruelty free. Self Tanners Best Sellers. Fake Tan.
- Tanning Cream- Bye Bye to Ghostly White Skin- The Best Sunless Tanner that will make your body look stunning! Note also that this self tan lotion will leave your skin perfectly tanned, with absolutely no fake tan, and 100 % streak free unlike many self tanning lotion- Does not turn your skin orange. A quick-drying formula, and perfect fade. No stains in your clothes, and sheets.
- Sun Free Tanning Formula- The Smell is the best one- You do not have to put your skin up with dangerous sun exposure to get the loving tan you want. Our sunless tan, harnesses the power of natural ingredients to give you a beautiful, natural looking tan- No Radiation required. A natural alternative to Fake Bake, St.Tropez, Beauty by Earth, Tan Physics, Tanceuticals and St. Moriz.
- The Perfect Natural Tanning Lotion for Men and Women- Our formulation is free of anything toxic, so everyone can enjoy the benefits of Shea Butter and the 10 powerful fruits which comes in the ingredients such as Jojoba, Apricot, Avocado, Rosemary, Grape Seed, Linseed, Passionfruit, Moringa, Coconut and Vanilla. You can use this tanning lotion bronzer instead of bronzer in spray or sunless tan machine.
- Vegan Sunless Tanning Lotion- Made in USA- It works or your money back. You are going to love our self-tanning lotion. Just nutritive sunless tanning lotion, tan towels, skinny tan, butter bronzer, sunless tanning spray, self tanner spray, tan lotion.
Quick Absorbtion: True Natural Organic Self Tanner Review
- Absorbs quickly for natural-looking, golden tanning results without harmful UV exposure
- Non streaking formula
- Tan lasts 5 to 7 days, reapply as needed
- 100% vegetarian ingredients
- No animal testing
Eco-certified DHA: Suntegrity 5 in 1 Self Tanner Review
- Made with Eco-Certified DHA from sugar beets
- Smells Great - natural coconut scent
- Packed with botanical extracts (including Goji, Acai, Mangosteen, & Noni), hydrating organic oils, nourishing vitamin E, and youth promoting antioxidants.
- FREE OF: Parabens Petrochemicals Phthalates Silicones Propylene Glycol Mineral Oils Artificial Oils
Quality Ingredients: Bahama Tan Level 1 Light Self Tanner Review
- LEVEL 1 LIGHT SHADE SELF TANNER: 8 ounce, Made in the USA. Develop your own personal tan color with No streaking, No orange, No blotchiness and No toxic chemicals. Simply apply Bahama Tan Level 1 Light self tanning lotion 1 to 4 (or more) days in a row to achieve YOUR perfect tan color.
- ORGANIC & NATURAL: Bahama Tan Self Tanner is made with pure, natural and organic ingredients perfectly blended to create a rich, natural looking tan without the sun. Eco Cert approved DHA, Food Grade Preservatives and Organic Ingredients like Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Argan Oil and Monoi de Tahiti Oil that deeply moisturize your skin. Paraben Free and great for all skin types including sensitive skin.
- NON-TOXIC: Truly a good-for-the-skin sunless tanner with No mineral oils, No lanolin, No parabens, No PABA, No alcohol, No petro-chemicals, No sodium lauryl sulfate, No formaldehyde, No toxic chemicals, No propylene glycol, No butylene glycol, No fillers, and No artificial fragrances.
- EASY PEASY: Free step-by-step instructions, helpful and little known tips included right on the bottle so you always have everything you need for a beautiful, flawless tan right at your finger tips. One bottle of Bahama Tan Self Tanner is enough for many full body and face applications. Your new sunless tan will last 4 to 7 days.
- SELF TANNING YEAR-ROUND: No Sun needed for year-round tanning. Enjoy a beautiful, sun-kissed glow even through the upcoming winter months. A little warm color may be just the thing to prevent the mid-winter blues. Bahama Tan Self Tanner is Made in the USA, Non-Comedogenic and Never tested on Animals. Our sunless tanning lotion is also Sealed for Your Protection so remember to remove the seal before use.
The ultimate guide to buying the best pregnancy safe self tanner
While picking just any self-tanner from the store can be hazardous to your health, there are a ton of factors that you need to look out for to ensure you use a safe self tanner during pregnancy that gives you the best worth of your money.
Is using Self-tanner safe during Pregnancy
DHA, which is the dominant ingredient in the best self tanners safe for pregnancy, won’t harm your baby if you use them as a mousse, cream, or wipe. When the tan is rubbed onto your skin, DHA reacts with dead cells in your skin, and it is not absorbed into your bloodstream. When your skin renews itself, the tan fades away harmlessly. However, if you use fake-tan spray, you may inhale some of the DHA, which might affect you or your unborn baby.
Tanning pills, which are mostly sold online, contain excessive levels of carotenoids. These are potentially harmful to your baby.
Tanning injections, also called Melanotan, are sold online and in tanning salons.
While the best tanning beds release just as much radiation as the sun, tanning beds are not safe to use while pregnant. The high amounts of heat released when tanning raise your body temperature too high for the baby to be safe. Lying on your back in the bed restricts blood flow, risking both of your lives. Elsewhere, tanning beds have been seen to increase the risk of miscarriage in women.
Considerations for the Best Pregnancy Safe Self Tanner
You should stick to well-known brands. It is also helpful to read a lot of pregnancy safe self tanner reviews to see what other users are saying. Besides that, there are also a few other factors that you should consider to ensure you have the best pregnancy safe self-tanner.
We have the list of considerations below;
Ingredients are what make some self tanners safe for pregnancy safe and make others unsafe. We have reviewed some of these ingredients below;
- What is the active ingredient in self-tanning products?
Conventional tanning products contain DHA (dihydroxyacetone) as an active ingredient. When your skin comes into contact with DHA, the chemical darkens the color of the skin. As these brown skin cells shed, your tan also fades.
- Avoid these Ingredients
To pick a pregnancy safe self tanner, keep chemicals far away from your body and baby. Some tanning products contain ingredients harmful to both your health and that of the baby. Avoid any products with propylene glycol, parabens, phthalates, sulfates and tricsolan. These do not guarantee any safety to you or your baby.
- Safe Ingredients in self tanners for Pregnancy
The best self-tanners while pregnant are those whose formulas are infused with natural and organic DHA, especially those derived from sugar beets and sugarcane. Ensure you pick the best organic self tanner that does not contain chemicals, and instead has low harmful properties to your body.
While most customers go for cheap brands, you should be wary of them as these probably have flaws. Compare the prices of different manufacturers to ensure you get the best pregnancy safe self tanners and one worth your money. Therefore, you should pick one that is neither too expensive nor too cheap.
Additionally, compare the capabilities of each of the tanners before you pick one. Your ultimate prize is buying the best pregnancy safe self tanner 2020.
Finally, ensure that you read as many pregnancy safe self tanner reviews as possible to gain more insight on what to look for in tanning products.
ECO-certification and Approvals
ECO-certification is proof that the self-tanner meets FDA standardization. Also, an ECO-certification means the product is not fake or an imitation. Check the products’ labels to see whether the active ingredient used is certified and from a natural source.
Buy a high quality for the best self tanner while pregnant to ensure that you get the best results. You should never compromise on quality. This is often what separates a harmful self-tanner from a harmless one. Pick a self-tanner from a well-known company. Alternatively, you can research the product by going through customer reviews online.
Pregnancy Tanning Alternatives
If you are interested in sunless tanning or want to avoid using tanning booths, you can use pregnancy-friendly self-tanners and bronzers. These will help you achieve the desired natural-looking, sun-kissed glow without baking in the sun or using the beds.
Alternatively, you can use foundation. The best tanning foundation is one that is 2-3 times darker than your natural skin complexion. Foundation is one of the best outdoor tanning lotions and is safe to use.
FAQs about Pregnancy Self Safe Tanners
To ensure that you pick the best pregnancy safe makeup and apply it correctly, we compiled some frequently asked questions. These have been picked from customer organic self tanner reviews and reflect real-time problems that other pregnant women have experienced from self-tanners.
What is the best way to use Pregnancy self tanner for the best Results?
Tanning rules are simple and easy to follow. With the right steps, your tan will be smoother, even and will last longer. We have compiled a few instructions below:
1. Exfoliate your skin
Exfoliating your skin gets dead cells from your skin. The new skin cells acquire the tan and keep it for a much longer time. Exfoliation is not specific to when you are pregnant and can be done anytime. When you exfoliate, focus on the dry areas like your knees, ankles, and elbows for the best results.
2. Apply the self-tanner properly
Massage the self tanning lotion while pregnant into your skin in circular motions. Apply it in sections while focusing on one part of your body at a time, like your legs, arms, torso, etc.
Once done, wash your hands with plenty of soap to protect them from developing stains.
3. Wipe joint areas with a damp towel
Joint areas like the knees, ankles, and elbows absorb more than any other body region. You should then counterbalance this effect by rubbing them using a damp towel.
4. Allow the self-tanner to dry
Wait for at least 10-15 minutes for the self-tanning formula to dry.
When you are totally dry, wear light-shaded clothing that isn’t tight. You should also avoid activities that have a lot of physical strain to protect your body from sweating.
Do I have to worry about tanner stains on my clothes?
The downside of tanning is that it rubs off on clothes and sheets. This is often due to sweat. As the sweat lifts the bronzers off your skin, it transfers into items of clothing that rub too closely or hold onto you tight. The cheapest and easiest hack has been the use of baby powder to prevent self-tan transfer. When tan is lightly dusted with a makeup brush, it prevents sweat and other moisture from building up and lifting the tan off your skin. Alternatively, this can be solved by simply picking the best self-tanner product.
Is shaving mandatory before I use my self tanner?
Shaving is unnecessary, but if you are a woman who shaves, do it at least 24 hours before applying tan. Running a razor down your leg dislodges dead skin and cuts your skin. These cuts offer an entry point of tanning chemicals into your body and may cause complications. Shaving after tanning also means that you will have shaved off your tint even when you are using the best self tanning lotion when pregnant.
Is self tanner absorbed into the bloodstream, and should I be worried?
Trauma on the skin might sometimes act as a gateway for tanning chemicals to enter into your bloodstream. Theoretically, tanning compounds like DHA could alter and damage DNA, leading to cancerous growth and malignancies.
If I swim with tanner applied, will it fade?
Yes. Water and chlorine react with tan and cause it to fade in no time. Ideally, you are supposed to swim eight hours after self-tanning, though, with some tans, it is agreeable to take a dip four or five hours after tanning. Follow the directions on your product before you get into the water prematurely to make sure your tan lasts for longer.
Our Recommendations and Verdict on Pregnancy Self Tanners
Pregnant women should be wary of using self-tanners while pregnant as their elements get absorbed into their skin, find their way into the bloodstream, and reach the unborn child. Therefore, you should stick to organic self-tanners that will not have any harmful side effects to you or your baby.
After our reviews of the best self tanners for pregnancy, our top choice for a self-tanner to use while pregnant went to Beauty by Earth Self Tanner. It gives your skin a natural tan and works better than spray or mousse. It also uses organic ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, and green tea extract that have a nourishing effect on your skin. It gives very consistent results and is definitely the best pregnancy safe self tanner 2020 pick from top-mom.com.
- 1 How We Tested
- 2 Top 5 Best Pregnancy Safe Self Tanners: Comparison Table
- 3 The ultimate guide to buying the best pregnancy safe self tanner
- 4 FAQs about Pregnancy Self Safe Tanners
- 4.1 What is the best way to use Pregnancy self tanner for the best Results?
- 4.2 Do I have to worry about tanner stains on my clothes?
- 4.3 Is shaving mandatory before I use my self tanner?
- 4.4 Is self tanner absorbed into the bloodstream, and should I be worried?
- 4.5 If I swim with tanner applied, will it fade?
- 5 Our Recommendations and Verdict on Pregnancy Self Tanners