- 1 Top 10 Best Pregnancy Safe Protein Powders: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.2 Naturally Delicious: Levels 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Review
- 1.3 Top Unflavored & Unsweetened: TGS 100% Whey Protein Powder Review
- 1.4 Great Muscle Development Support: Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein Review
- 1.5 Only 1 Ingredient: Raw Organic Grass Fed Whey Protein Review
- 1.6 Cold Processed for Maximum Purity: NAKED Nutrition Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Review
- 1.7 Made from USA Grown Peas: Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Vanilla Powder Review
- 1.8 Best Flavor: KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.9 Great for Sensitive Stomachs: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder Review
- 1.10 Suitable for Breastfeeding Moms: Boobie Bar Body Organic Superfood Plant-Based Protein Shake Review
- 2 What exactly is Protein Powder?
- 3 Why Have Protein Supplements During Pregnancy?
- 4 Ingredients to Look For in Protein Powders
- 5 Ingredients to be Avoided
- 6 Other Sources of Protein
- 7 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Pregnancy Safe Protein Powders: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) orgain organic plant based creamy chocolate fudge protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 6 grams of organic dietary fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking grams to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost
- Ideal for healthy, on the go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, built-in grams lean muscle, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts
- We simply advise against using a microwave as it may negatively impact the nutritional value of the product.
Naturally Delicious: Levels 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Review
- LEVELS WHEY PROTEIN: Each scoop of Levels Pure Chocolate Whey contains 24g Protein, 5.4g BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), and added sugars. Trusted by athletes, fitness enthusiasts and daily grinders everywhere, our whey is crafted for everyone’s lifestyle.
- NOTHING FAKE: Levels Whey is naturally delicious. That means no hormones, no GMOs, no added sugars, no soy, no gluten, no bleach, no fillers, and no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
- SIMPLE & CLEAN: No fake chocolate flavor here. Levels Pure Chocolate Whey is made with delicious cold-pressed cacao and lightly sweetened with monk fruit extract.
- QUALITY FIRST: Quality milk tastes better, way better. That’s why grass-fed hormone-free dairy is the only dairy we use to make our whey protein concentrate. Whey concentrate is the least processed form of whey, which means it’s loaded with high-quality complete protein and essential amino acids.
- MADE IN THE USA: Levels Whey Protein is made in the U.S.A. and is undenatured to protect bioactivity and naturally occurring growth factors. Each batch is cold-process microfiltered and blended with non-gmo sunflower lecithin for that insanely easy mixing you expect.
Top Unflavored & Unsweetened: TGS 100% Whey Protein Powder Review
- PURE WHEY, LESS IS MORE: The whey you want without the junk you don’t - NO added sugars, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, additives, sweeteners or preservatives. Soy free, gluten free, rGBH/rBST hormone free, Non GMO. Our Non GMO sunflower lecithin makes it easy to mix. Great clean alternative to organic whey protein powder.
- NUTRITION AT IT’S FINEST: Each scoop contains 25 grams of undenatured protein and the full spectrum of all 9 essential amino acids. You get 5.5g of naturally occurring BCAA’s (branched chain amino acids) making it a great choice for post workout muscle recovery, building lean muscle, and general fitness.
- IDEAL FOR: Anyone from fitness enthusiast to body builder looking to improve their overall fitness, build & maintain lean muscle or lose weight. Great for keto or other strict low carb diets. Low calorie makes it great for weight loss plans and meal replacement shakes. Also great for cooking or baking protein packed bars, breads, cookies, sauces, and more.
- MADE IN USA: Sourced from US farms, made and packaged in the US. Our advanced micro-filtration system gently processes whey to prevent denaturing leaving high quality bioavailable undenatured whey protein concentrate. No acid or bleach during processing.
- GET MORE WITH UNFLAVORED, UNSWEETENED: Have what you want when you want and never get tired of the same flavor. Before or after a workout, drink it plain with water or get creative with your own flavors - Have a vanilla coffee protein shake on Monday, strawberry banana protein smoothie on Tuesday, or a peanut butter chocolate protein drink on Friday.
Great Muscle Development Support: Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein Review
- The package dimension of the product is 4.8"L x 4.6"W x 3.8"H
- Free from rBST
- Country of origin is China
- Supports Muscle Development
Only 1 Ingredient: Raw Organic Grass Fed Whey Protein Review
- ONLY 1 INGREDIENT: 100% Pure Grass Fed whey protein from the milk of jersey cows that graze freely on lush, green pastures year round. These small-farm cows are not only healthier but we believe happier too!
- Highest Quality, Cold Processed, NON-GMO, Soy Free, rBGH/rBST Hormone Free, Gluten Free, Grass Fed, Heavy Metal Free
- No added sweeteners, preservatives or fillers & NO SOY lecithin. Processed WITHOUT acid or bleach
- Sourced 100% from US Sustainable Small Farms. Cow's diet consists of a variety of wild grasses and clover - producing milk rich in omega-3s and CLAs
Cold Processed for Maximum Purity: NAKED Nutrition Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Review
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Grass Fed Pure Whey Protein with zero additives. Naked Whey no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO-Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free and Gluten-Free.
- ALL NATURAL WHEY: Our Grass Fed Whey is sourced from small dairy farms in California to bring you a non-denatured whey packed full of essential amino acids, clean protein and glutathione.
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 25g of Protein, 2g of Sugar, 3g of Carbs, 120 Calories, and 5.9g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving.
- COLD PROCESSED: Unlike most whey protein powders, Naked Whey is cold processed to ensure zero contamination from chemical detergents (no acid or bleach), synthetic additives, or heavy metals, and this maintains important naturally occurring growth factors.
- THE PERFECT WORKOUT PARTNER: Create pre and post workout whey shakes, smoothies and recipes to take your muscle gains and recovery to new heights.
Made from USA Grown Peas: Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Vanilla Powder Review
- Made in US
- High protein: 22 grams of complete, sugar free plant protein from USA grown peas and 13 Raw organic sprouts
- Post workout recovery: Help your muscles recover with a clean nutritional shake and get back in the gym faster
- Vitamins and minerals: This delicious vanilla protein powder includes fat soluble Raw food created vitamins A, D, E and K
- Protein powder with probiotics: Tasty, 110 calorie smooth protein shake with 3 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for easy digestion
Best Flavor: KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- Amazing Flavor: Infused with organic Peruvian cacao, Himalayan salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of stevia & monk fruit, our award-winning protein blend is simply delicious! Add 2 scoops to cold water for tasty shakes or mix into smoothies & snacks.
- Weight Management: Great protein powder for weight loss. The soluble fiber in plant protein gives you that “full” feeling for a longer period of time. You eat less but not at the expense of calories. Still packed with 20g protein per serving.
- Complete Protein: Our USDA Organic vegan protein powder has a 5 protein blend of Pea, Flax Seed, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seed & Chia Seed + essential vitamins & minerals. Healthier than whey protein powder for both your body and the environment.
- Digestion Support: Enhanced with powerful digestion support by DigeSEB, a proprietary digestive enzyme blend. DigeSEB aids digestion & helps the body maximize absorption by embracing & capitalizing on its ingested nutrients.
- Responsibly Sourced: Nearly every ingredient is certified organic and free of gluten, dairy, soy, hormones, artificial sweeteners, colors, and GMOs. Made with USDA and CCOF certified ingredients.
Great for Sensitive Stomachs: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder Review
- All Organic & Plant-Based Protein: Our organic plant-based protein powder formula is made from all-natural ingredients including 21 grams of protein and 4 grams of carbs, all the while being completely vegan. We include 20+ superfoods for added micronutrients and all essential amino acids to ensure you get the most out of your post-workout routine.
- Amazing Taste & Texture: Our protein blends easily and come in flavors that are delicious on their own or effortlessly complement many food recipes and smoothies.
- Great for Moms & Kids: Heavy metal tested. Safe for kids and breastfeeding or pregnant mamas.
- The Cleanest Ingredients: Clean, vegan, non-GMO, whole-food ingredients sourced from USDA Organic certified farms. Free from gluten, dairy, fillers, sugar, and artificial ingredients. Heavy metal tested.
- Protein Powder for Sensitive Stomachs: Our inclusive plant-based protein formula makes use of pea protein as well as rice protein, also includes digestive enzymes to help break down the plant protein, which helps eliminate bloating while maximizing absorption.
Suitable for Breastfeeding Moms: Boobie Bar Body Organic Superfood Plant-Based Protein Shake Review
- Boobie's #1 breastfeeding bar brand now offers daily nutrition on the go-complete superfood Protein Blend is sourced from organic pea, sacha inchi, organic chia, Organic and flax seeds and provides a vegan, Dairy Free, and Paleo-Friendly complete amino acid profile
- Organic, Gluten Free, Keto Friendly, Vegan, Dairy Free, 19g protein, 1 net carb, 0 sugar
- COMPLETE MEAL REPLACEMENT IN SECONDS - Look mama, we know you are busy. That's why we pack Boobie Body full of protein, fiber, and pre and probiotics to give you a full meal replacement on-the-go
- POSTPARTUM WEIGHT LOSS - We want to help you lose that pregnancy weight and reclaim your body
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY MILK SUPPLY - Boobie BODY is packed with milk- boosting galactagogues to help support a healthy milk supply
What exactly is Protein Powder?
Often people misunderstand the powder as a supplement only for athletes. But indeed, this supplement is also a great nutrient source for would-be-mothers. They are made from foods like rice, soybeans, eggs, milk, hemp, peas, and potatoes. The best protein powder during pregnancy contains other vital nutrients like vitamins, amino acids, iron, calcium, and so on. The nutrients added in a pregnancy safe protein powder are:
|Vitamin A||Heart, eye, brain, and respiratory development|
|Vitamin B6||Reliefs morning sickness and forms RBCs|
|Vitamin B9||Prevents cleft palate and neural tube defects|
|Vitamin C||Maintains the health of amniotic sack and placenta|
|Calcium||Teeth and bones development|
|Iron||Prevents low baby weight and premature delivery and increases blood volume|
|Amino acids||Enhances muscle growth|
How Much Protein Do You Need During Pregnancy?
Mothers consuming less protein when pregnant can give birth to unhealthy babies. According to the American Pregnancy Association and numerous pregnancy safe protein powder reviews, around 75 to 100 grams of the nutrient is a must for an expecting lady. In such a scenario, pregnancy safe protein powder is the best supplement that can fulfill the daily requirement of the nutrient. Also, you should be having more foods like eggs, milk, soybeans, and rice.
Why Have Protein Supplements During Pregnancy?
Protein powder for pregnant women is a magic potion that can save you from certain major distresses. If you are fed up with facing the regular morning sickness issues, then the supplement will come to your rescue. Also, there are days when cooking feels like a heavy job. On such days you can rely on the shake. Other top-rated benefits of the protein powder safe for pregnancy are discussed further!
Benefits of the Shake
- It is super easy and quick to make.
- The drink is full of natural nutrients and contains fewer calories.
- It is found on the market in a range of tasty flavors.
- The shake suits the stomach more than other foods and helps in avoiding morning sickness.
- Maintains the optimal prenatal weight of the mother and the baby.
Is Protein Powder Safe During Pregnancy?
Protein powders and pregnancy mostly happen to co-exist together. Yet so far, it has proven beneficial for both the child and the mother. Although it is safe, certain ingredients must be avoided. We have covered the risks and the ingredients in detail further.
Risks of the Shake
- Overdose: As said earlier, anything more than required is harmful. Similarly, this shake too must not be taken in excess. A study conducted in Scotland proves that the fetus of the expecting lady who took an overdose of protein was growing slower than the normal growth rate. Another study conducted in 2018 showed that a low carbohydrate and high protein diet during pregnancy causes gestational diabetes. That is why the keto diet during this period must be avoided.
- Toxic Ingredients: Toxic ingredients like CBD, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and fortified nutrients are to be avoided. Even though you should check the label before buying, the Clean Label Project revealed that ingredients mentioned in a label are not guaranteed.
- Hidden Sugars: You must keep an eye on the sugar content of the powder. According to the American Heart Association, one must not consume more than 25 grams of sugar when pregnant. Certain powders have 23 grams of hidden sugars in just one scoop!
Ingredients to Look For in Protein Powders
According to the pregnancy safe protein powder reviews, the best ingredients to look for are as follows:
- Vitamins: Different varieties of vitamins like A, B6, B9, B12, C, D, and K are essential for the healthy growth of a fetus. They help in forming the tissues, supplying RBCs, preventing birth defects, and a lot more benefits.
- Calcium: It is a vital nutrient for the bones and teeth development of the baby.
- Zinc: It keeps the immune system active.
- Magnesium: Helps in maintaining blood pressure, sugar level, muscle function, and also prevents sugar cravings.
- Iron: Increases blood volume and keeps away from premature delivery.
- Iodine: Vital for the immune system and thyroid functioning.
- Amino acids: Needed for muscle growth.
- Choline: Helps in the brain growth of the baby.
Ingredients to be Avoided
The best protein shakes during pregnancy should never have the ingredients mentioned below:
- Caffeine: Increases the chances of miscarriage. Also, it can lead to the low birth weight of the baby.
- CBD: This ingredient must be avoided in the protein powder for breastfeeding moms as it has negative effects on the mother’s milk.
- Soy: It disrupts the hormonal balance, therefore, not recommended.
- Artificial sweeteners: They increase the blood sugar level excessively.
Other Sources of Protein
There are plenty of other sources of protein besides the powder. They include legumes, low-mercury fishes, egg, lean meats, red meat, grains, seafood, and so on. According to the FDA, the fishes that you should avoid during pregnancy are tilefish, mackerel, and swordfish. For vegans, the best protein-rich foods include lentils, brown rice, whole grains, nuts, barley, and many more. Dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt are also great sources. A 2014 study revealed that women who consumed more non-vegan sources gave birth to high blood pressure babies.
The protein content of the major sources is as follows:
|Food Item||Protein Content per 100 grams|
We hope this article was able to tell you a lot about the best pregnancy safe protein powder 2021. The nutrient is a necessity for the effective growth of tissues and organs of the fetus. That is why skipping this vital nutrition is never a smart mom’s choice. Therefore, you can drink protein shakes while pregnant. So, when will you start feeding your fetus the right amount of protein? Do tell us!