- 1 Top 10 Best Shoes for Kids: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall - Under Armour Kids' Pre School Assert 8 Sneakers Review
- 1.2 People Choice - Crocs Kids' Crocband Clog Review
- 1.3 German Quality - Adidas Grand Court Sneakers for Kids Review
- 1.4 Perfect for Active Kids - Adidas Kids' Duramo 9 Shoe Review
- 1.5 Lightweight - PUMA Kids' Cabana Racer Sneakers Review
- 1.6 Snug sock-like Material - Adidas Originals Unisex's Swift Sneakers Review
- 1.7 Completely Breathable - Nike Flex Runner Sneakers Review
- 1.8 Casual Style - Airwalk Kids' Legacee Shoes Review
- 1.9 Best Design - Under Armour Ignite Mid Sneakers Review
- 1.10 Soft EVA Midsole - New Balance Kids' Fresh Foam Arishi Shoe Review
- 2 Buyers guide: All you need to know about Best shoes for kids
- 2.1 What kind of shoes does my kid need?
- 2.2 How many pairs of shoes should a child have?
- 2.3 How often should kids get new shoes?
- 2.4 How to choose the best shoes for kids
- 2.5 Best types of shoes for kids
- 3 Best shoes for kids FAQs
- 4 Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Top 10 Best Shoes for Kids: Comparison Chart
Best Overall - Under Armour Kids' Pre School Assert 8 Sneakers Review
- Lightweight mesh upper with 3 color digital print delivers complete breathability
- Durable leather overlays for stability & that locks in your midfoot
- Hook & loop strap for easy on & off
- EVA sockliner provides soft, step in comfort
- One piece EVA midsole turns cushioned landings into explosive takeoffs
People Choice - Crocs Kids' Crocband Clog Review
- COMFORT WITH A SMILE: A sporty racing stripe adds a pop of color to the traditional Crocs clogs The Crocband Crocs for kids are perfect for running around on the playground or cruising around town
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND FUN: Extremely light kids' Crocs allow your child to focus on play instead of comfort Ventilation ports add breathability and help shed water and debris quickly
- DESIGNED TO FIT: These Crocs for boys and girls are easy to take on and off and extremely durable with even the toughest play The pivoting heel straps allow for a more secure fit and easy on and off
- ICONIC COMFORT: These Crocs for girls and boys are made of Croslite foam for Iconic Crocs Comfort The contoured footbeds and outsoles deliver incredible comfort for whatever the day has in store
- KIDS CROCS: These kids' Crocs can be customized to their personal flair with Jibbitz charms The kids' shoes are easy to clean, leaving the colors vibrant wear after wear
German Quality - Adidas Grand Court Sneakers for Kids Review
- Adidas quality
- Imported By Adidas
Perfect for Active Kids - Adidas Kids' Duramo 9 Shoe Review
- Regular fit
- Mesh upper for breathability
- Adiwear outsole offers the ultimate in high-wear durability
- Cloudfoam midsole for step-in comfort and superior cushioning
Lightweight - PUMA Kids' Cabana Racer Sneakers Review
Snug sock-like Material - Adidas Originals Unisex's Swift Sneakers Review
- Soft, adaptable synthetic upper
- Control embossing on the upper gives you improved ball handling
- Experience ultimate lockdown with an anatomically designed upper that mimics your heel shape
- Snug sock-like material fits like a second skin
- High-performance TPU-injected layers in the outsole designed to stabilize movement; Firm Ground outsole; Hybrid stud tips
Completely Breathable - Nike Flex Runner Sneakers Review
- Stretchy, fabric uppers are breathable with leather sides
- Slip on style with elastic straps for an easy on and off
- Breathable fabric linings
- Foam padded footbed provides added comfort
- Rubber outsole for added durability
Casual Style - Airwalk Kids' Legacee Shoes Review
- All-Canvas Upper
- Rubber Cap Toe
- Padded Insole
- Non-Marking Outsole
- Canvas lining
Best Design - Under Armour Ignite Mid Sneakers Review
- Lightweight, breathable mesh upper delivers increased ventilation with bonded taping at midfoot
- TPU heel overlay for added durability
- Enhanced cushioning around ankle collar for superior comfort
- Full length EVA sock liner for added comfort & a custom fit
- Cushioned EVA midsole delivers a lightweight & responsive ride
Soft EVA Midsole - New Balance Kids' Fresh Foam Arishi Shoe Review
- Lightweight Kids' Running Shoes With Plenty of Cushioning: Fresh Foam midsole cushioning is precision-engineered to deliver an ultra-cushioned, lightweight ride in these incredibly comfy kids' shoes
- Breathable Upper: These kids' performance shoes feature a lightweight mesh and synthetic upper for flexibility and breathable comfort, regardless of the activities your little one gets up to
- Comfort and Durability: With a strong and durable rubber outsole, these comfortable kids' running shoes can stand up to daily playground wear-and-tear
- Versatile New Balance Kids' Running Shoes: From casual playdates to intense games of Tag, your child will be prepared for whatever adventures await them when they step into these kids' shoes
- Stylish Look for Kids: These kids' performance shoes feature modern style, complete with the iconic N logo to give them a sporty look that looks equally good in the classroom as on the playground
Buyers guide: All you need to know about Best shoes for kids
Getting the right choice of best running shoes for kids can be tricky. With the many brands in the market, you might feel overwhelmed to make the right choice. That doesn’t need to be an issue anymore.
Kid’s shoes are designed for different activities and seasons too. This guide helps you to make the right choice.
What kind of shoes does my kid need?
When you think about buying shoes, you might wonder which shoes your kids need. There are different categories of shoes based on the intended use. Below is a list of shoes your kids need.
- Casual shoes
You should get your children shoes similar to sneakers that they can wear during the weekend. They would be great for wearing on trips while wearing their stylish pair of jeans.
- Play /Beach sandals
Get your kids’ shoes that they can use during summer on the beach. These sandals are light in weight and are made of durable material. Kids slip on shoes will help them to avoid slipping and falling while walking on watery places.
You need runners for your kids that they can use in their playing activities. They cannot play with their Sunday best shoes. They need sneakers because they are also light and comfortable.
- Sunday best
Your kids need some pair of shoes that they can wear on special occasions like weddings and parties. Sunday best shoes fall in this category and you can buy them for this purpose.
How many pairs of shoes should a child have?
It’s evident that kids are always active, and they utilize shoes more than anything else they wear. You might wonder how many pairs of shoes you should buy for them to meet their needs. While you may be thinking of buying them many pairs of shoes, that is not important.
You need to focus on quality more than quantity. Surprisingly, even five pairs of shoes can be ideal so long as they are of high quality. The most important thing is ensuring that a child has high-quality shoes for every occasion.
You could look for best arch support shoes for kids to help them avoid pain while walking or running.
How often should kids get new shoes?
Kid’s feet are always growing steadily, and that’s why they might need to change shoes regularly. When buying their shoes, you should put more focus on functionality rather than style.
You might need to change their shoes periodically, depending on your child’s age.
Get more shoes if your child is going to participate in activities like sports. If it’s tennis, you might want to get the kids tennis shoes for that purpose.
For kids below three years old, you should replace their shoes three to five times per year. For those between 4-8 years, you can replace them twice to thrice a year. If you have children between 9 to 12 years, replace their shoes once to twice per year.
The growth of kids’ feet slows down when they become teenagers, and you can replace them once a year too.
How to choose the best shoes for kids
The following factors are crucial to help you make an ideal decision while buying best toddler shoes.
There are various best kid shoe brands in the market. It would be great if you choose a brand with many positive reviews from previous buyers.
How flexible is the shoe? Kids can wear some shoes while going to the beach and also at home. Some can be great for trips and special occasions as well.
There are varying sizes of kids’ leather shoes. When buying shoes for kids below 12 years old, ensure that they are a few inches larger because their feet grow fast.
Materials play a significant role in enhancing the comfort of the feet. Ensure that the material has air spaces and is durable as well. Kids sneakers made from canvas or leather offer excellent ventilation.
Laces provide a reliable fastening system that helps children to use the shoes comfortably without getting off their feet. Ensure that the shoes have Velcro, laces, or some sort of fastening system.
Whether your kid is going to use the shoes outdoors or you need kids indoor shoes, it needs to last long. You need to choose a shoe made of leather or canvas. Leather may not be breathable but is durable. Canvas shoes are excellent since it’s both durable and breathable.
Ensure that the soles of the shoe are also flexible to enable your kid to bend the foot.
Shoes made of canvas material offer enough airflow to the feet, which improves breathability. Ensure that the shoes allow the flow of air regardless of the material used to manufacture the shoes. Kids walking shoes that lack proper aeration produce unnecessary odor after wearing them.
How heavy are the shoes? Remember that the best kid shoe needs to be light enough so that they can comfortably use them without falling. For example, soccer shoes for kids should be light in weight; otherwise, kids might fall while playing.
The shoes should not only be stylish but also allow the kids to wear them with ease. Design plays a crucial role in determining the functionality of the shoes. Shoes to be used on the beach have flat soles and have a simple design. For example, shoes for kids with flat feet have flat soles.
What’s your budget for each shoe? Remember, they come in different price ranges. How is your budget? Choose a shoe that falls within the price range of your choice. While there are plenty of cheap kids shoes, it would be great to ensure that they meet your child’s needs.
Best types of shoes for kids
Below is a list that we found out on the best shoes for kids in 2020. We analyzed them based on their sex and those that can be used by both genders.
Shoes for boys
There are various types of shoes for little boys. Here are some details about them.
Basketball shoes can suit your little one if he is a fan of this game. These shoes also protect ankles from injuries as they are pretty high sneakers.
Cowboy boots. These shoes were popular in the working class as they can resist any damage. Now their stylish versions are rather often used in kids’ fashion, mainly for boys looks.
Shoes for girls
Girls can wear the same shoes as the boys do. But it differs in some bright details and vivid colors.
Shoes with heels. Usually kids do not need to wear heels. It is not good for a growing body and the doctors usually recommend not to wear heels more than 1 inch height.
Waterproof boots. Girls love to wear bright boots to jump in the rain and to finish their looks with interesting catching-eye details.
Unisex shoes for kids
Here are shoes for kids that both genders can wear. In general boys and girls can wear the same shoes, they usually differ by colors and design.
Roller shoes. Are suitable for both genders. These shoes with wheels can be used for walking, running and riding as well.
Water shoes. They are for leg protection when a kid goes swimming in the open water. Water shoes avoid gentle kids’ legs from being injured by sharp unknown objects.
Best shoes for kids FAQs
After purchasing the shoes for your kids, you might encounter some common challenges that other parents have had before. Here are some frequently asked questions and answers that might be helpful.
What age can a child put on shoes?
The right time to get shoes for kids is immediately they begin walking. Once kids learn to walk independently, they start running around and might need something to protect their feet. Ensure that you get the breathable shoes that also have some space for growth.
How to wash kids' shoes?
The first step in cleaning your kids’ shoes is soaking them in soapy water to remove mud or any stuck stuff. You might need to regularly change the water depending on the nature of the dirt until it’s gone.
Use a brush or a piece of rug to wash off the remaining dirt. Rinse it in clean water and allow it to air dry.
– Cleaning tough stains
Sometimes it may be a bit challenging to clean tough stains such as colored fluids. A cleaning agent like baking soda and water can be of great help in dealing with this. You can apply it to the stained area directly then soak it in water.
Rinse it, and air dry it under a shade to avoid bleaching the fabric.
You can also make use of toothpaste and brush the shoes with an old toothbrush. This makes the shoes look sparkling new and smell fresh. Rinse the shoes well after scrubbing them.
You can wash them with a washing machine. This will be great, especially for canvas shoes and sneakers, as you only need to throw them inside. However, don’t dry them with the dryer.
This can cause them to shrink. It would be great if you air-dried them outside but avoid direct sunlight. Add a little baking soda on the wet shoes before drying to control odor.
Are kids' shoes safe?
Kids’ shoes are safe so long as the child is walking. Otherwise, a child is not walking yet shouldn’t wear shoes. Studies reveal that growing up with a barefoot has a crucial role in a child’s development.
How to size kids' shoes?
It’s easy to know the size of your kids’ shoes by measuring their feet with a pen or a ruler. Put their feet on a piece of paper. Measure distance from the back heel to the toes.
Go with the inches to a shoe store and convert them to shoe size. You can then order the shoes from a shoe store online or any available location.
How to teach kids to tie their shoes?
Kids can comfortably wear their shoes, but it’s quite hard to avoid laces. You can use the bunny method to help them learn this skill quickly. Below is a description of this method.
Fold the laces ends to form loops that you can hold using your thumb and forefinger. Cross its ears so that they create a cross. Create a circle on the bottom bunny ear. Pull it through its upper ear to create a second knot.
Tighten the knot by pulling the bunny ears outwards to the sides
Your child may not learn this immediately, so be patient and repeat it several times.
Verdict and our recommendation for 2020
Finding the best shoe for kids 2020 shouldn’t be an issue anymore. There are various brands in the market. Whether you are looking for sneakers for outdoor activities or running shoes, it is crucial to consider their durability and comfort too. That’s why we think Under Armour Kids’ Pre School Assert 8 Sneakers are the best choice.
Quality is vital over their price, so make an informed decision. Topmom.com offers you a wide variety of shoes for children to cater for different occasions.