How We Tested
Our team of testers went for a complete hair transformation and opted for purple hair dye. All the team members had different natural hair. Some of our testers went for permanent hair dye while some chose temporary hair dye.
We also ensured that each one of the testers had a different shade of purples like black purple hair dye, dark purple hair dye, and amethyst purple hair dye. This helped in determining their effect and longevity. We also checked for any reported allergies or side-effects.
We aimed to choose the healthiest hair dye that does not harm the consumers in any way.
Top 9 Best Purple Hair Dye: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Hair Dye Review
- Shh...don't tell any of our other shades, but Purple Rain is one of our faves. This deep, true purple is a versatile color that works well on a variety of base colors from platinum to light brown, giving deep tints of color to darker hair and showing vibrantly on lightened hair. It even works well to cover up other faded colors effectively!
- #AFProTip: Purple Rain pairs well with tons of other AF shades; try mixing it with some Wrath for a burgundy, or Poseidon for a deep indigo.
- Made only from vegan ingredients with no animal by-products. No harmful chemicals in Arctic Fox hair dye that damage the hair like chemical based hair colors.
- Arctic Fox hair dyes are gentle for frequent use and actually conditions your hair as it restores vibrancy.
- Long lasting Colors, Smears Less, Sweet Scent, No Peroxide, No Ammonia, No Ethyl Alcohol, No PPD.
Long Lasting: Iroiro Premium Natural Semi Permanent Hair Color Review
- 100% Vegan & Cruelty Free. Our formulation is based on natural ingredients. Proudly Made in USA.
- Natural 100% organic coconut oil, natural yuzu-cranberry fragrance and natural preservative.
- Iroiro does not contain toxic, petro-based chemicals and synthetic preservatives.
- Long lasting, easy-to-apply cream based color with extra conditioning for softer hair.
- Easy-to-use and eco-friendly pouch with tamper-proof cap. Available in 4oz and 8oz.
Multiple Formulations - L'Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Colo Review
- FERIA IS MULTI-FACETED PERMANENT HAIR COLOR: Known for shimmering color and edgy colors, Feria permanent hair dye kits transform hair from blah to brilliant; The Power Shimmer Feria Conditioner seals and smooths for lasting bold color that will turn heads
- MULTI-TONAL, SHIMMERING FERIA HAIR COLOR: With 50plus bold shades ranging from deepest black hair dye to platinum blonde and smoky silver hair dye, Feria hair color kits are inspired by cutting-edge fashion and the latest trends, no salon appointment required
- L'OREAL PERMANENT HAIR COLOR: L'Oreal Paris Hair Color comes in multiple formulations and styles to deliver long-lasting color, from fade-defying Superior Preference, to bold, stylish Feria, and gray-coverage from Excellence Crème
- LONG LASTING HAIR COLOR: Get beautiful color from L'Oréal Paris hair color; permanent, semi-permanent, temporary hair color, and root cover up; Cover gray hair, highlight, go bold with bright color, or even try an ombre hair color
- L'OREAL PARIS INNOVATION: We are a total beauty care company that combines the latest in technology with the highest in quality for the ultimate in hair color, hair care, hair style, skin care and cosmetics
Mixable Colors & Tones - Manic Panic Ultra Violet Purple Color Cream Review
- Ultra Violet Hair Dye Color; A Super Cool Blue Toned Violet Hair Dye That Can Even Give Unbleached Hair Violet Tones; For The Most Vibrant Results We Recommend Lightening Hair To Very Light Level Nine Blonde Or Lighter Before Use
- Mixable Colors And Tones; Manic Panic Hair Colors Are Safe To Mix To Create Custom Shades Making The Possibilities Of Shades Endless; Combine Any Formula With The Pastelizer To Create Soft Trendy Pastel Hues; Ready To Use No Developer Required
- Semi Permanent Hair Dye; Formula Gradually Fades In Four To Six Weeks Because It Does Not Penetrate The Cortex Of Your Hair But Simply Rests On Top Of The Hair Shaft
- Cruelty Free And Vegan Formula; This Color Cream Hair Dye Features Vegan Ingredients Tested On Celebrities Not Animals; Hair Color Is Ammonia Free Paraben Free Gluten Free Resorcinol Free Phthalate Free And Peta Accredited
- For Best Results; Vibrant Color Results Are Best Achieved By Applying To Hair That Has Been Pre Lightened With Manic Panic Flash Lightning Bleach Kits; Bleaching Thoroughly To A Level Nine Or Ten Before Dyeing Is Recommended For The Best Results
100% Coverage: Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Permanent Hair Color Cream Review
- INTENSE CARING COLOR: Your hair is healthy looking and strong in combination with the Pre-Color Serum.
- EVEN COLOR FROM ROOT TO TIP: The protective Pre-Color Serum conditions the hair before coloring for a more even color result from root to tip.
- UP TO 80% LESS HAIR BREAKAGE: Enhanced K·Bond-Plex repairs inner hair structure and coats the hair surface after the coloration process for strong and healthy looking hair.
- 100% GRAY COVERAGE: Gray coverage with long lasting color fidelity giving you fuller hair with up to 80% less hair breakage (vs. untreated hair).
- If your hair is longer than shoulder length, we recommend using 2 boxes of Keratin Color hair dye for the application.
Suitable for All Hair Types - Pravana Purple Hair Dye Review
- It is easy to use, with no developer required
- It gives hair artists everything they need to concoct, mix and create endless color palettes
- Suitable for all hair types
Non Drip Formula - Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Permanent Hair Color Review
- Bold Nourishing Hair Color: This permanent purple hair dye is formulated with color boost technology and a blend of triple fruit oils: avocado, olive, and shea; to deliver bold, boosted permanent hair color, even to dark hair
- Dark Purple Hair Dye: Garnier Nutrisse hair color crème, with grape seed and avocado oil, comes in a complete hair dye kit and nourishes while it colors with a rich, non drip creme formula
- Garnier Hair Color: For hair nourishing, easy to use permanent hair dye, temporary hair color, root touch up, or to enhance your natural hair color, turn to Garnier hair color
- Over 100 Years of Pioneering in Hair Care: Since 1904 Garnier has blended naturally inspired and derived ingredients into breakthrough formulas; Nourish your hair with hair color and care from Garnier
- Inspired By Nature: Garnier carries an array of products for your hair and skin care needs, from shampoos, color care and styling products to formulas that cleanse, moisturize and repair skin
Deep Hair Revitalization - BLONDBERRY Purple Tonik with Keratin & Argan Oil Review
- GET THE PERFECT BLOND - BLONDBERRY is the perfect Purple Mask that will help you to achieve an extraordinary cool tone that looks glaring. Our innovative formula removes brassy and yellow shades, restoring and enhancing the beauty of lightened hair. You will see the difference from the first application guaranteed! Enjoy the salon quality of the renewed tint of your mesmerizing locks!
- DEEP HAIR REVITALIZATION - BLONDBERRY Purple Toning Mask unique formulation restores your hair from the inside. Keratin and proteins - basic components of the mask - quickly soak into the hair shaft revitalizing its structure and preventing the appearance of split ends. Our mask protects your hair from harmful exposure and improves its shine. Get attractive and healthy locks that will make you smile!
- COLOR ENHANCEMENT - Our mask helps to restore the intensity of cool blonde color and reduce the damage after multiple bleaching. Dry and damaged locks recover while treatment removes yellow and brassy hues. Active components prevent the impact of the sun, prolongate silkiness and attractive appearance of hair. Forget about frequent dyeing and enjoy the perfect color with BLONDBERRY!
- STUNNING HAIR WITH EASE - We strictly follow the American manufacturing standards to ensure the perfect quality of our product. Formulated with the assistance with leading American stylists, our mask normalizes hydration level and restores the hair structure, protecting it from damage. Apply to hair after washing for 5 minutes or more and rinse thoroughly with water. With us, healthy hair is easy!
- PERFECT RESULT GUARANTEED - BLONDBERRY Purple Toning Mask will help you to enhance cold blonde color without any efforts. Apply a few times a week, and enjoy your unforgettable, healthy, shiny hair. If you have any questions, need our assistance with a hair mask, or have any suggestions - please contact us. We will be glad to help you and will reply as soon as possible.
No Alcohol - Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor Review
- 2 Pieces - 4 Ounce (118ml)
- Gives Hair A Beautiful, Sensual Feel,
- No Alcohol, Peroxide Or Ammonia,
- Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Buyer’s Guide: All you need to know about the best purple hair dye
Purple is not a natural hair color, unlike auburn or silver. So, when you go for this hair color, your natural hair color determines its intensity. Those with natural blonde will get to have a deeper shade of purple while those with dark hair will have a lighter shade.
It is more like having a blank canvas color. This hair dye comes in temporary purple hair dye, semi permanent purple hair dye, and permanent purple hair dye. Along with dyeing the hair, its after-care is equally important.
Why is purple hair so popular?
No color has acquired a cult status like the purple. The purple hair dye is associated with a range of social issues like LGBTQ, racial and sexual abuse, religion-based abuse, and colonialism.
The supporters dye their hair to show that they do not conform to societal norms and are not afraid to show it publicly. People now get purple hair color to show their solidarity with the issue. Moreover, the color purple is associated with royalty and wealth. It makes you look funky yet regal.
How to Choose the best purple hair dye?
If you finally decide to get the best purple hair dye on the market, you need to pay attention to some core aspects. It is your hair that will be undergoing drastic changes. Purple is not a natural hair color. So, you will be using artificial colorant on your hair.
Be sure that it does not damage your hair. At the same time, if you successfully apply it, your hair will look like a lavender field. What can be more breath-taking!
So, let us have a look over the factors that matter most when choosing the best purple hair dye:
Permanent vs Semi-permanent
As the name suggests, this hair dye determines how long your hair will stay purple. Semi Permanent hair dye is a temporary way to get the hue. It includes hair glazes and glosses. They last for just 3 weeks.
Also, they do not require your hair to be bleached. The color is applied just on the hair surface and not on the cuticle. Permanent hair dye uses ammonia and hydrogen peroxide to open up the hair cuticle. These chemicals then react with keratin (hair protein) and melanin (color pigment of the body) to deposit the purple hair dye on it.
As this alters the natural hair composition, it stays longer, about 6-8 weeks. It needs constant upkeep and root touch-ups every month. If you want to just try a new look, then go for the temporary purple hair color. But if you want to have a complete makeover for long, permanent hair color should be your choice.
Hair Nutritional ingredients
Your hair is your natural crown. You should in no way harm it just for the sake of getting a new color. So, when you decide to get it done, look for these ingredients in the dye:
- Olive oil or coconut oil or any natural oil for nourishing keratin
- Shea butter for extra smoothness and shine
- Keratin complex to strengthen keratin
- Honey for extra shine
- Egg extract for smoothness
- Citric acid to act as the natural dye
Your current hair color
Your current hair color determines the shade of purple hair dye. If you have light hair color, you can adjust the intensity by choosing the amount of developer. You can have a mix of eggplant purple, pastel, and deep purple to have a color pop effect.
If you have dark hair color, it first needs to be bleached. If you are opting for semi-permanent hair dye, you should go for vitamin C tablets that naturally dye your hair.
However, if you wish to have a permanent fixture, you better consult a professional. It requires extensive bleaching, coloring, and also aftercare instructions.
The right shade
If you are light-skinned, you should opt for a cool and deep shade of ice lavender. Indigo, purple, or lilac goes best for medium skin tone. Warm shades of lilac and lavender will enhance your look if you are dark-skinned. The wrong hair shade can make you look dull and ruin your look.
Some purple hair dye brands are known for their effectiveness and natural ingredients. Here is the list of best purple hair dye for dark hair without bleach based on the purple hair dye reviews:
- Arctic fox vegan semi-permanent hair dye
- Garnier nutrisse ultra color-dark intense violet
- Joico intensity semi-permanent amethyst purple crème color
Best purple hair dye for dark hair based on purple hair dye reviews:
Ease of use
If you wish to have a DIY hair dye, its ease of use is important. It should not need too many specialized instruments. It should require a brush and a comb and not more than that.
Best purple hair dye FAQ
Does purple hair dye damaged hair?
No. If you use quality products using natural ingredients, it will not damage your hair. Many brands offer vegan hair dye at a cheap rate.
Can I mix purple hair dye with other colors?
Yes. Mixing purple hair dye with other colors will give a vibrant touch to your hair.
Can I develop a purple hair dye at home?
You can use freshly mashed blackberries for dyeing your hair purple. It will be a temporary dye.
Is hair dye safe for pregnant women?
Yes. Hair dyes contain a minimal amount of toxic chemicals. Common harmful ingredients used in hair dye are ammonia, peroxide, p-phenylenediamine, diaminobenzene, toluene-2.5-diamine, resorcinol, toluene etc. Moreover, they don’t come in direct contact with the bloodstream. There is no way they can harm the fetus.
On the other hand, some ingredients often used in hair dyes – such as:
- toluene etc.
are associated with some negative health effects.
However, you should wait for the second trimester before getting any hair treatment. You may face other issues like nausea from the smell of the dye.
Is purple hair hard to maintain?
Yes. It is pretty difficult to maintain it but it is not impossible. Follow the instructions from your hair-dresser or hair artist.
What shampoo do I use for purple hair?
You can use these ,a href=”https://top-mom.com/sodium-chloride-free-shampoo/”>sodium chloride free shampoo brands based on customer reviews:
- Biolage color last shampoo for color-treated hair
- Wella brilliance shampoo and conditioner coarse colored hair
- Aveda color conserve shampoo
Why did my purple hair turn green?
If your hair is damaged from pollution or unhealthy upkeep, copper will deposit on the cuticles. You can also get it to form bathing in the chlorinated swimming pool. Copper turns the hair green. You can get rid of it by using a clarifying shampoo.
How can I make purple hair dye last longer?
Follow these steps to get the best result:
- Bleach your hair before dyeing
- After dyeing, do not wash your hair for 48 hours
- Use a shampoo that prevents color fading
- Use color-care conditioner after shampoo
- Never use hot water on purple hair
- Have a color touch-up every month.
How do you refresh purple hair?
Here is what professionals recommend for refreshing purple hair:
- Straighten your hair and divide it into sections.
- Apply the dye using your fingers as a comb in each section. It will help you in applying it evenly.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it untouched for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water only. Do not use shampoo or conditioner.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
We concluded that the best purple hair dye 2020 is Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Hair Dye. It gives incredible shade without harming hair for the long-term. If you need guidance on the cheapest pastel purple hair dye, visit top-mom.com.
- 1 How We Tested
- 2 Top 9 Best Purple Hair Dye: Comparison Chart
- 2.1 Best Overall: Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Hair Dye Review
- 2.2 Long Lasting: Iroiro Premium Natural Semi Permanent Hair Color Review
- 2.3 Multiple Formulations - L'Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Colo Review
- 2.4 Mixable Colors & Tones - Manic Panic Ultra Violet Purple Color Cream Review
- 2.5 100% Coverage: Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Permanent Hair Color Cream Review
- 2.6 Suitable for All Hair Types - Pravana Purple Hair Dye Review
- 2.7 Non Drip Formula - Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Permanent Hair Color Review
- 2.8 Deep Hair Revitalization - BLONDBERRY Purple Tonik with Keratin & Argan Oil Review
- 2.9 No Alcohol - Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor Review
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: All you need to know about the best purple hair dye
- 4 Best purple hair dye FAQ
- 4.1 Does purple hair dye damaged hair?
- 4.2 Can I mix purple hair dye with other colors?
- 4.3 Can I develop a purple hair dye at home?
- 4.4 Is hair dye safe for pregnant women?
- 4.5 Is purple hair hard to maintain?
- 4.6 What shampoo do I use for purple hair?
- 4.7 Why did my purple hair turn green?
- 4.8 How can I make purple hair dye last longer?
- 4.9 How do you refresh purple hair?
- 5 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020