Top 10 Best Protein Powder While Breastfeeding: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Garden of Life Organic Raw Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- On the go nutrition: 20 grams of clean, organic plant protein with 44 superfoods including organic grass juices, fruits and veggies and 6 grams of fiber to keep you satisfied
- Post workout recovery: Help build lean muscle and boost energy with this power packed meal replacement
- Vitamins and minerals: This delicious vanilla protein powder is packed with 21 vitamins and minerals
- Meal replacement shake with probiotics: Tasty, smooth protein shake with 1.5 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for easy digestion
- Vegan protein powder: Organic, gluten free, Star K kosher, vegan, dairy free, soy free, Informed Choice Certified (Trusted by Sport), non GMO whole food protein
Great Quality: KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- Amazing Flavor: Infused with organic Peruvian cacao, Himalayan salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of stevia & monk fruit, our award-winning protein blend is simply delicious! Add 2 scoops to cold water for tasty shakes or mix into smoothies & snacks.
- Weight Management: Great protein powder for weight loss. The soluble fiber in plant protein gives you that “full” feeling for a longer period of time. You eat less but not at the expense of calories. Still packed with 20g protein per serving.
- Complete Protein: Our USDA Organic vegan protein powder has a 5 protein blend of Pea, Flax Seed, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seed & Chia Seed + essential vitamins & minerals. Healthier than whey protein powder for both your body and the environment.
- Digestion Support: Enhanced with powerful digestion support by DigeSEB, a proprietary digestive enzyme blend. DigeSEB aids digestion & helps the body maximize absorption by embracing & capitalizing on its ingested nutrients.
- Responsibly Sourced: Nearly every ingredient is certified organic and free of gluten, dairy, soy, hormones, artificial sweeteners, colors, and GMOs. Made with USDA and CCOF certified ingredients.
Not Sugary Taste: OLLY Plant Powered Protein Review
- OLLY PLANT BASED PROTEIN POWDER: We'll tell you how many grams of protein are in each serving (18), and what our protein powder doesn't contain (GMOs, gluten, dairy and animal products), but mostly we'd like you to know how delightfully delicious it is.
- RAISE A GLASS TO NUTRITION: Get your plant based protein and drink it too with OLLY Protein Powders. 18g of high quality plant protein per serving helps keep your body strong and energized for whatever your day throws at you, or wherever it takes you.
- PLANT BASED PROTEIN POWDER: Drink to your good health when you enjoy a protein shake or smoothie made from OLLY protein powders. We use high quality, non-GMO pea protein and flaxseed in our vegan friendly powders. And did we mention they're delicious?
- HI THERE. WE'RE OLLY: We've made it our personal mission to make nutrition easy to understand, so you can pursue good health without compromise. Taking nutritional supplements shouldn't be a chore, which is why ours are just as effective as they are fun.
- OLLY IS DIFFERENT: Try our plant based protein powders and discover for yourself how we're different. You'll love OLLY products If you've used products from Shakeology, Garden of Life, Orgain, TrueFit, NOW Sports, PlantFusion, KetoLogic, Organifi & ALOHA.
Easy to Blend: Vega Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- PROTEIN PLUS VEGETABLES adds effortless nutrition to your every day, sweetened with stevia—no added sugar, and 120 calories per serving.
- 20 GRAMS OF VEGAN PROTEIN from pea protein, brown rice protein and sacha inchi protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
- MADE WITH GREEN VEGETABLES including organic kale, organic alfalfa, broccoli, and spinach for an on the go healthy protein powder for women and men.
- KETO-FRIENDLY PROTEIN POWDER with four grams net carbs, gluten free, lactose free, dairy free, soy free, non whey and low glycemic. Not a medical food
- REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS that are good for the body, feed the mind, and respect the planet. Vegan certified, Non-GMO Project Verified, with no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
Great for Meal Replacement: Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) orgain organic plant based creamy chocolate fudge protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 6 grams of organic dietary fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking grams to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost
- Ideal for healthy, on the go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, built-in grams lean muscle, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts
- We simply advise against using a microwave as it may negatively impact the nutritional value of the product.
Full of Vitamins: Vegansmart Plant Based Vegan Protein Powder Review
- VEGANSMART PLANT BASED PROTEIN POWDER: 20g of non-GMO protein, dietary fiber, no cholesterol, and zero trans-fat vegan protein powder
- MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE: Delicious, all-in-one shake, low calorie, prebiotics, dietary fiber and omega 4
- WHOLE FOOD COMPLEX: Nine different fruits and vegetables, polyphenols, antioxidants, and flavonoids
- 23 VITAMINS AND MINERALS: Everyday nutrition, healthy cell function, post workout
- BREAKFAST SHAKE OR ON THE GO: Protein berry granola bowl or shake/blend with your favorite liquid
Extra Creamy: Momsanity Protein Powder for Women Review
- GREAT TASTING FLAVOR – MOM Fuel plant based protein powder comes in this great tasting Dutch Chocolate flavor. Our womens protein powder has nothing artificial: no artificial sweeteners, flavoring, dyes, or preservatives. Non-GMO.
- EASY TO MIX - Our protein powder plant based is easy to mix! Unlike other dairy free protien shake powders, MOM Fuel is extra creamy with MCT oil.
- PICK YOUR LIQUID - MOM Fuel is a unique blend of Plant Protein and Collagen that can be mixed with almond milk cashew milk, coconut milk, plant milk, chilled coffee, water, coconut water, or freshly squeezed juice.
- GREAT FOR POST WORKOUT – This meal replacement powder has 20 grams of protein per serving (30 full servings per canister). MOM Fuel protein for women also has added collagen for healthy joints, gut, hair, skin, and nails as well as an added anti-oxidant blend.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – If you don’t love our women protein powder and meal replacement shake, we’ll refund your money!
Rich Flavor: Tone It Up Organic Vegan Protein Powder for Women Review
- RICH AND SMOOTH FLAVOR: The velvety smooth vanilla plant based protein makes it easy to get your daily dose of protein. Vegan, gluten free, Kosher, and Non-GMO makes it a delicious way to nourish your body
- FUEL YOUR HEALTHY LIFESTYLE: Each scoop of our plant based protein powder delivers 15g of protein and zero sugar to help you in reaching your goals of a healthier, happier you
- WHIP IT UP: Blend this protein powder into a delicious smoothie or bowl, bake your favorite protein muffins and baked goods, or simply mix it with water or your favorite drink
- ANYWHERE, ANYTIME: Whether you’re fueling up on the beach or in traffic, our plant based protein can go with you whenever, wherever. Life is hard; giving your body the nutrients it needs shouldn’t be
- FIT, HEALTHY, HAPPY: Here at Tone It Up, we are a community inspiring and supporting one another to live the life of your dreams; fit, healthy, and happy! Come grow and glow with us!
Good for Sensitive Stomach: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder Review
- All Organic & Plant-Based Protein: Our organic plant-based protein powder formula is made from all-natural ingredients including 21 grams of protein and 4 grams of carbs, all the while being completely vegan. We include 20+ superfoods for added micronutrients and all essential amino acids to ensure you get the most out of your post-workout routine.
- Amazing Taste & Texture: Our protein blends easily and come in flavors that are delicious on their own or effortlessly complement many food recipes and smoothies.
- Great for Moms & Kids: Heavy metal tested. Safe for kids and breastfeeding or pregnant mamas.
- The Cleanest Ingredients: Clean, vegan, non-GMO, whole-food ingredients sourced from USDA Organic certified farms. Free from gluten, dairy, fillers, sugar, and artificial ingredients. Heavy metal tested.
- Protein Powder for Sensitive Stomachs: Our inclusive plant-based protein formula makes use of pea protein as well as rice protein, also includes digestive enzymes to help break down the plant protein, which helps eliminate bloating while maximizing absorption.
Clinically Proven: Protiva New Mom Protein Powder Review
- NEW MOTHERS: Contains nutrients essential to providing new moms the extra nutrition needed postpartum. Promotes increased healing, energy and lactation. One of the best new mom gifts!
- BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT: A post pregnancy protein powder, which increases milk production and lactation. It is lactose free, yet contains collagen, protein, key vitamins and essential minerals.
- IMPROVED LIFE POSTPARTUM: Specifically formulated to increase healing and allows moms to recover from delivery faster. Improves energy levels and quality of life postpartum.
- All Natural: A breastfeeding safe protein powder containing only 2 grams of sugar that contains no GMO's, preservatives, allergens, soy, dairy or gluten. Safe for mom and baby.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: The only lactation product clinically proven to improve recovery, breastfeeding and quality of life in postpartum women.
Buying Guide for the Best Breastfeeding Protein Powder
Protein powders are essential for bodybuilding and cell development in both the mother and developing child. However, the wrong powder will result in irreparable damage and permanent side effects that will ruin your child’s development. Fortunately, we will guide you on what to look out to get the best worth for your money when shopping for a safe protein powder while breastfeeding.
Are Protein Powders Beneficial to Breastfeeding Mothers?
Since our bodies do not create proteins on their own, and many mothers are sensitive to dairy – which contains many proteins, it is important that they offset this by eating high-quality protein rather than foods like bread and rice. Some of the benefits of protein include:
- Protein is involved in cell regeneration
- Protein is vital for skin, nails, and hair
- Protein helps repair cells and helps the baby grow
- Protein helps breastfeeding mothers heal after birth
Finding the best Breastfeeding Protein Powder
When out shopping for protein powders for breastfeeding moms, it is best to stick to well-known brands. These product brands are safe, but they also give you the best worth of your money as a result of competitive brand pricing. You should also check out protein powder while breastfeeding reviews to ensure that you gain customer insight on what products are safe and healthy for you and your developing baby.
Important Ingredients for Protein Powders
Many protein powder for breastfeeding mothers derive ingredients from the sports nutrition world designed to support or enhance performance and recovery. The critical compounds contained in protein powders include:
- Creatine: this compound powers cells and improves effort during high-intensity training like lifting weights.
- Carnitine: this amino acid, often added to “diet” whey products, mobilizes fatty acids from cells so it can be used to provide energy.
- Enzymes: help your stomach break down specific compounds for better digestion and nutrient absorption.
Keep off these Ingredients
Some ingredients should not be contained in protein powder safe for breastfeeding. The following components have been listed by the American Pregnancy Association as unsafe and should, therefore, be avoided at all times:
- Saw palmetto
- Dong Quai
- Pay D’ Arco
Carefully inspect the packaging to ensure none of these aforementioned ingredients are contained in the protein powder.
Sugar vs Artificial Sweeteners
Due to the bland unpleasant taste of protein, many companies add sugar to protein powders for breastfeeding moms to mask this taste.
Sugar is helpful when you want to maintain blood glucose and replenish glycogen in muscles and liver. This allows the body to perform better and be prepared for when you are working out.
A good number of unsweetened protein powders contain minimal sugar at less than 1 gram per serving. On the other hand, those targeting people who want to gain weight contain more than 75 grams of sugar per serving.
If you want to avoid calorie-packed protein powders, you can use powders made with artificial sweeteners.
A good alternative is buying unsweetened protein powder and add your own healthier sweetening options. Some good choices include honey, agave nectar, pure maple syrup, or a banana. These come with added nutritious benefits that give you full control of how much sugar is in your drink.
While there are several product flavors, we cannot give much insight into what to choose. If you are yet to try safe protein powder while breastfeeding, try buying the smallest containers possible, buying a variety of sample packs, and finding out what you like.
If you are a vegan and looking for your kind of powder protein, there are several choices ready for your sampling and see if they fit your needs. Plant-based sources like hemp, pumpkin seeds, pea, and brown rice are some of these sources. Even though many protein powders are made from plants, not all of them are vegan. Some plant-based protein powders for breastfeeding may contain animal-derived products such as honey. Check from the label whether it contains any animal products.
Ensure you buy a protein powder safe during breastfeeding to protect yours and your baby’s health.
Protein Powder Types safe for Breastfeeding Moms
The most common products for breastfeeding include:
- Egg/egg whites
- Brown rice
- Mixed plant
All of these are organic and non-GMO; hence are not harmful to you and your baby. You simply choose the type that is most affordable to you and fits your dietary needs.
Common Questions and Answers About the best Breastfeeding Protein Powders
To make sure that you best understand the connection between protein powders and breastfeeding, we answered some frequently asked questions:
What is the appropriate Daily Quota of Breastfeeding Protein Powders?
Experts recommend that breastfeeding moms take at least twice as much protein as non-breastfeeding women. The daily recommended intake for the breastfeeding women
However, if you do heavier physical tasks or a regular at the gym, you might need even more. Also, make sure you are only using the best protein powder for breastfeeding. Additionally, it is best to work from the recommended amount, then add or reduce while keeping up with how your body feels and the milk supply you have till you get what works for you. This should be done under the observation and consultation of a doctor for the best results.
Are Protein Powders Helpful with Weight Gain?
Protein powders have fewer calories than the food you would typically eat. For those boosting your protein intake by taking shakes or smoothies, you can body maintain muscle mass, and if you are doing some workouts at home or the gym, you might even gain some muscles. A body with more muscles will burn more calories; hence within a few days, you will probably start to see results.
Are there any precautions I should know before taking breastfeeding Protein Powders?
According to Mayoclinic, while you are breastfeeding and supplementing it with proteins, there are certain precautions that you need to take:
- Avoid drinking alcohol. It is zero alcohol for the health of your baby. If you are a regular drinker, avoid breastfeeding until the alcohol has cleared off your breast milk. Alternatively, if you cannot keep up with this, pump out your milk before drinking to feed your baby later.
- Avoid drinking caffeine. More than 2 to 3 drink a day of caffeine will agitate your baby and mess up its sleep pattern. If you can, avoid it or keep it under 2 cups.
- Avoid fish and seafood. While fish is an essential source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, most seafood contains mercury and other contaminants. Exposure to these contaminants and mercury through breast milk can pose a high risk to a baby’s developing nervous system.
Are there Supplements I should steer away from during Pregnancy?
There are many supplements that you should avoid. Mainly, herbs that have not been subjected to a scientific test and analysis of its effects are harmful to you. You should avoid:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is highly recommended and important for fetal vision and immune system development, but overconsumption causes liver poisoning, damage, and congenital disabilities.
- Vitamin E: While it is useful for immune functions in non-pregnant women, Vitamin E potentially causes increased abdominal pain or premature amniotic sack rupture in pregnant women.
- Dong Quai: possibly due to its use in controlling blood pressure and menstrual cramps, this Chinese herb is known to increase womb contractions and raise the risk of a miscarriage.
- Yohimbe: extracted from the bark of an African tree, this herb is used to control obesity. However, its side effects include high blood pressure, seizures, and heart attacks. It is best to avoid it while pregnant.
- Other supplements to avoid are Saw palmetto, Tansy, Blue cohosh, Wormwood, Goldenseal, Pennyroyal, Angelica, and Red clover.
Nutrition is not negotiable at all stages of your pregnancy. You should, therefore, only use the right supplements and avoid anything else that might harm your baby.
Our Recommendations and Opinion on Breastfeeding Protein Powders
We went through countless reviews and product information to come up with this article. And our top pick for the best protein powder while breastfeeding 2020 is whey protein. Whey is a liquid leftover from milk once it has been curdled and strained. When consumed during the post-natal process, whey is rapidly digested. It is then absorbed into your digestive system, gets into your bloodstream and muscles quickly initiating the recovery and rebuilding process.
We hope this article will help guide your decision as you pick the best protein powder for breastfeeding mothers. For more tips and guidance on breastfeeding and toddler health, stick to top-mom.com.
- 1 Top 10 Best Protein Powder While Breastfeeding: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Best Overall: Garden of Life Organic Raw Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.2 Great Quality: KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.3 Not Sugary Taste: OLLY Plant Powered Protein Review
- 1.4 Easy to Blend: Vega Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.5 Great for Meal Replacement: Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder Review
- 1.6 Full of Vitamins: Vegansmart Plant Based Vegan Protein Powder Review
- 1.7 Extra Creamy: Momsanity Protein Powder for Women Review
- 1.8 Rich Flavor: Tone It Up Organic Vegan Protein Powder for Women Review
- 1.9 Good for Sensitive Stomach: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder Review
- 1.10 Clinically Proven: Protiva New Mom Protein Powder Review
- 2 Buying Guide for the Best Breastfeeding Protein Powder
- 2.1 Are Protein Powders Beneficial to Breastfeeding Mothers?
- 2.2 Finding the best Breastfeeding Protein Powder
- 2.3 Protein Powder Types safe for Breastfeeding Moms
- 3 Common Questions and Answers About the best Breastfeeding Protein Powders
- 4 Our Recommendations and Opinion on Breastfeeding Protein Powders