How We Tested
To come up with this post, we observed and tested different tanning lotions available on the market and chose our top product. We examined information from customer reviews, authorities like FDA, Health Canada, among other sources, and went through hundreds of research materials.
We aim for unbiased mac foundation reviews for oily skin, so we checked all the products and their ingredients at EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database and CosDNA before publishing. These are the most authoritative and trusted sources of skincare and beauty products. Therefore, you can read through what we have compiled for you with the confidence of your skin coming out better and not exposing you to any danger.
Top 4 Best Mac Foundations For Oily Skin: Comparison Table
Bests Overall: MAC Pro Longwear Foundation Review
For Natural Look: MAC Face/Body Foundation Review
- MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation is a comfortable, lightweight foundation that delivers a natural satin finish.
- MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation is ideal for those who want low-to-medium buildable coverage and a natural, satin finish.
- Formulated with a unique blend of emollients, MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation is a comfortable, lightweight formula that glides onto your face and body, providing stay-true color.
Great Blending to Skin Color: MAC Matchmaster Foundation Review
Water Resistance: MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation Review
- Water-resistant and Transfer-resistant
- Long-wearing, 24 hours
- For all skin types
- 25ml / 0.85 fl oz
Best Mac Foundation for your Oily Skin: Buyer’s Guide
The skin is a sensitive body organ that improves your outlook and can ruin it altogether if not correctly managed. The guide will take you through the best foundation for textured skin and how to use it to nourish your skin.
Causes for Oily Skin
Oily skin comes about when the sebaceous gland in the skin produces too much sebum. Sebum is the waxy, oily substance that keeps the skin healthy. It protects and hydrates the skin. However, too much of it leads to clogged pores that lead to excess oil on the skin and acne.
With the right Mac foundation for oily skin, you can control this and tone down your shininess while bringing out your natural skin pigment.
How to Find the Perfect Mac Foundation for your Oily Skin
When you choose the best Mac foundation for oily acne prone skin, you will not only get rid of the redness, stubborn scars, and shiny skin but also improve your skin’s health. The result is a clear-looking beautiful skin that will drown all your insecurities. Besides, you will know what to avoid and what to look for to ensure you get the mac foundation best for oily skin.
Must-have Ingredients in Foundation
When you are out shopping for mac foundation best for oily skin, you should focus on ingredients that will be friendly to and nourish your skin. We listed for you some that are highly recommended by dermatologists and skincare experts;
- Salicylic acid: Many dermatologists and skincare experts recommend that you look for salicylic acid in foundation. It is an oil absorbent that neutralizes redness and treats blemishes as well. However, it should be used as a standalone product because when mixed, your face might end up rough, flaky, and irritated.
- Hyaluronic acid and sodium PCA: This combination binds water to the skin without clogging pores and helps make-up go on nicely and smoothly.
- Tea tree oil: Often used in Aesop control, tea tree oil is great with oily skin. It gently strips oil and clears pores.
Check the mac foundation for oily skin reviews to gain insight into how to make your DIY makeup tips at home that are safe and friendly.
Avoid these Ingredients in Your Foundation for Oily Skin
Try to keep away from foundations with this harmful ingredients;
- Sodium lauryl sulfate: Commonly referred to as SLS, it has been shown to cause or contribute to skin irritation, canker sores, disruptions of skin’s natural oil balance, and eye damage. It is a significant contributor to acne, especially around the mouth and chin.
- Petroleum distillates: Petroleum extracted cosmetic ingredients may cause skin problems and are often contaminated with cancer-causing impurities.
- Parabens: Although several studies have linked parabens to various types of cancers, the FDA is yet to ban its use in cosmetic products. Their prolonged use is also associated with disruptions to the endocrine systems and reproductive and developmental disorders. For healthy skin and body, avoid any ingredients with the ‘-paraben’ suffix.
Oily skin can be susceptible to beauty and skincare products, and we, therefore, advice that you only stick to the best foundation for large pores and wrinkles to conserve and nourish it.
Types of Coverage
The coverage determines how opaque the mac for oily skin foundation and how much will cover over your skin. It is described as sheer, light, medium, or full.
- Sheer or lightweight foundations are less covered and allow a little of the natural skin to come through. They create a more natural-looking skin.
- Medium foundations give a decent covering and smooth out the pigmentation found in natural skin. They allow for a hint of the natural skin to shine through.
- Full foundations are entirely covering, and little or none of the skin pigmentation will shine through. Full foundations are great for people who either wish to fully cover skin problems like freckles or create a background canvas for more dramatic makeup looks.
Foundations have two main finishes, matte and those with sheen. Sheen varies from a natural glow to a fully luminous.
Mac matte foundation for oily skin works very well. It has no shine at all; hence, it is great for looks on film, TV, and photo-shoots where many lights are used to emphasize sheen.
Natural or a satin finish is suitable for most skins but is the best foundation for large pores and wrinkles, especially on older or drier skin. It adds more ‘life’ to the skin, leaving it nourished, smooth and looking primer.
Dewy foundations are lightweight, hydrating, and leave your skin glowing. This hydrating effect makes it more preferable for drier and mature skin, but a bit of dusting makes it work for oilier skin, as evident from Mac foundation for oily skin reviews.
Finding the best mac Foundation for different oily Skin Types
The mac foundation for oily skin comes as a powder, cream, liquid, and stick foundations, each with varying skin types, and make up for the best foundations for oily skin. Let’s explore some of the common types;
- Multitasking foundation stick is designed to perfect skin tone, contour curves and highlight features. Achieve buildable medium coverage with this ultra-blendable formula for a natural matte finish that lasts for 24 hours.
- Long Wearing 24 hours
- Non-poring, Non-caking, Non-Creasing
- For all skin types
If you require makeup to use-on-the-go, stick foundations are the best. They offer a thick consistency whose coverage is buildable and easy to control. They are arguably one of the best foundation for oily skin as they can also be used as concealers.
- A creamy, luxurious, gel-based foundation that provides medium buildable to high coverage with a natural satin finish. Hydrating, instantly revitalizes the skin while keeping it looking smooth, soft and plush. Long-wearing, water-resistant. 40ml
The cream foundation has been used for years by people with dry skin due to its additional moisturizing effect on the skin. It has thicker coverage on skin and is a top-rated mac product for oily skin as it has an oil-controlling feature, which makes it possible for its use without any side effects.
- Fix Fluid Foundation NC42 - TRUE MEDIUM BEIGE WITH GOLDEN UNDERTONE FOR MEDIUM SKIN (NEUTRAL-COOL)
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation SPF 15 is a modern foundation with a natural matte finish and broad spectrum protection.
Mac liquid foundation for oily skin offers full coverage, is suitable for heavy use, and does well at covering blemishes. While it has traditionally been thought to increase oiliness and make skin shinier, MAC cosmetics offer oil-controlling and mattifying liquid foundations, allowing people with oily skin to benefit from it.
- 15ml size perfect for travelling
Powder foundation has, for a long time, been regarded as the best mac foundation for oily skin. It absorbs excess sebum and minimizes shine. Powder foundation offers full coverage and does so in a natural, hence favorable for everyday use. Additionally, they are lightweight, which makes them suitable for use everywhere.
Expert Tips for Using Mac Foundation on Oily skin
Once you have the right Mac oily skin foundation, you are supposed to keep up with routines to make it stay on your skin for longer.
- Use primer: A good primer will ensure your makeup stays on all day. Ensure you cleanse your face before priming.
- Powder moderately: For people with oily skin, excessive powdering over foundation leads to caking and skin cracking. Therefore, you should powder lightly as a finishing touch then add more powder later on in the day if necessary.
- Use oil-blotting paper: Users with oily skin may need to use a blotting paper when they have too much midday shine. The oil-blotting paper will get rid of the oil without ruining your makeup.
Steps for Applying Mac Foundation like a Pro
- Pump out a small amount of Mac Foundation on the back of your hand
- Dot your face with foundation using a sponge or fingertips. Apply more on areas with hyperpigmentation
- Use a dabbing or stippling to spread the formula all over your face, neck, and ears in a circular motion. This to ensure that your face and neck have uniform colors.
- Make sure the sides of your nose are covered to avoid dragging your face.
How do I tell the best Mac Foundation for Me?
To help you choose the best mac foundation for combination oily skin, we have listed some of the best mac products for oily skin below:
|Foundation Name||Skin Type||Coverage||Finish||Benefits|
|MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation||Oily||Full||Matte||Controls oil production|
|MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation||Acne-prone||Medium to buildable||Matte||Can be applied|
|MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation||Oily to dry||Medium to full||Natural satin||Waterproof|
|MAC Pro Longwear Foundation||Oily or combination||Medium to buildable||Matte||Controls oil production|
|MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation||Dehydrated||Medium to buildable||Natural to satin||Broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays|
Our Mac Foundation for Oily Skin Verdict and Recommendations
The MAC brands of foundations make the best drugstore powder foundation for acne prone skin. They will not only cover your blemishes but will also nourish your skin while at it. Our top recommendation for the best mac foundation for oily skin 2020 goes to MAC Pro Longwear Foundation. It offers over a variety of shades to choose from and is gentle on the skin while allowing it to breath. It controls shine and oil well and lasts for up to 8 hours, ensuring your skin looks fresh all day. Hopefully, this guide helps you in picking the best foundation for your oily skin. For more guidance and reviews on skincare products, keep it top-mom.com.
- 1 How We Tested
- 2 Top 4 Best Mac Foundations For Oily Skin: Comparison Table
- 3 Best Mac Foundation for your Oily Skin: Buyer’s Guide
- 3.1 Causes for Oily Skin
- 3.2 How to Find the Perfect Mac Foundation for your Oily Skin
- 3.3 Finding the best mac Foundation for different oily Skin Types
- 3.4 Expert Tips for Using Mac Foundation on Oily skin
- 3.5 How do I tell the best Mac Foundation for Me?
- 4 Our Mac Foundation for Oily Skin Verdict and Recommendations