TOP 10 Best Baby Formula For Gassy Babies: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: Baby’s Only LactoRelief with DHA & ARA Toddler Formula Review
- 1st and only formula using Organic Certified DHA & ARA derived from organic egg phosphlipids; supports brain & eye development
- Contains Organic Low-Lactose Dairy caters to babies who are lactose intolerance or sensitive
- Certified USDA Organic; No hormones, antibiotics-treated dairy cows; no harmful pesticides or fertilizer
- Rated "Best in Class" by CleanLabelProject.org for Superior Nutrition and Purity
- Baby's Only Organic Formulas do NOT contain GMO, Corn/Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, or Hexane Processed DHA
Best Budget: Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Baby Formula Review
- Emerging evidence from a recent clinical study showed MFGM in formula supports cognitive development similar to breast milk
- #1 trusted brand for brain-building & immune support
- Get brain building nutrition inspired by breast milk from the formula brand that's #1 recommended by Pediatricians
- For easing fussiness, gas and crying within 24 hours
- The only formula that has a fat-protein blend of MFGM and DHA, previously only found in breast milk
Best Organic: Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula Review
- Easy-to-digest organic formula for baby's first twelve months for babies with sensitive stomachs
- Reduced lactose milk-based powder formulation for easy digestion; our closest formula to breast milk
- Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA fatty acids naturally found in breast milk to support brain and eye development, Iron for healthy development
- Easy to Digest and Nutritionally Complete With Lutein for Eyes and Prebiotic Fructooligosaccharides for Immunity
- Kosher; no artificial flavors, colors; Made without prohibited synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
Best With Iron: Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron Review
- Similac is the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormone (no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST treated and non rbST treated cows)
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula is a milk based formula for your baby's first year that is specially designed for fussiness and gas due to lactose sensitivity
- NUTRIENTS: Features OptiGRO, our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, special nutrients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby's brain and eye development
- TRUSTED FORMULA: Similac is the #1 brand chosen by moms (Total US infant formula, all outlets as of 3/31/2018, Nielsen data)
NON-GMO: Similac Pro-Sensitive Non-GMO Infant Formula with Iron Review
- BRAND FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT : Similac Pro-Sensitive is the first infant formula for sensitive tummies with 2-FL HMO. (Based on Pediatrician Recommendations & IQVIA ProVoice Survey 12 months ending February 2020 not from human milk)
- Eligible to be purchased with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
- (in select stores, The SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assurance Program) name is a service mark of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. USDA does not endorse any goods, services, or enterprises.)
Best Hypoallergenic: Enfamil Nutramigen Hypoallergenic Colic Baby Formula Review
- Fast relief NOW - Manage colic due to cow’s milk allergy as early as the first feeding, with 90% of infants improving within 48 hours
- Fewer allergies LATER - Specially formulated to reduce the incidence of future allergy challenges by 50%
- Helps support baby's immune system to return to consuming traditional milk protein formula without an allergic response
- Includes the probiotic branded LGG—the most extensively studied probiotic for allergy management & supporting the digestive health of your baby
- Complete lactose-free and sucrose-free nutrition for the first 12 months. From Enfamil, the #1 Infant Formula brand recommended by pediatricians*
Best to Reduce Spit Up: Enfamil A.R. Spit Up Baby formula gentle Milk Powder Refill Review
- Contains one 32.2 ounce refill pack of baby formula milk powder
- Enfamil A.R. spit up baby formula with Iron is a gentle milk powder formula clinically proven to reduce spit up by over 50 percent in 1 week
- Specially formulated with a thicker consistency to reduce spit-up
- Gentle, complete nutrition tailored for your baby through their first 12 months
- Has DHA to help support brain and eye development
Easy on baby’s tummy: Plum Organics, Organic Infant Formula with Iron Review
Best Soy-Based: Enfamil ProSobee Soy Sensitive Tummy Baby Formula Review
- Enfamil ProSobee baby formula is a dairy and lactose free soy plant protein alternative to milk based formula
- Helps reduce fussiness, baby gas, and colic caused by sensitivity to milk based formulas, with plant protein powder that is naturally easy on sensitive tummies
- Gentle formula for complete nutrition tailored for your baby through their first 12 months
- Enfamil is the Number 1 Baby Formula brand recommended by pediatricians*
- Contains 4 22 ounce containers of baby formula soy milk powder (Total = 88 ounces)
Easy-to-Digest: Similac Pro-Total Comfort Infant Formula Review
- #1 BRAND FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT + GENTLE FORMULA: Similac Pro-Total Comfort is a gentle formula that has partially hydrolyzed protein and 2’-FL human milk oligosaccharide, an immune-nourishing prebiotic like that found in breast milk (IQVIA ProVoice Survey 12 months ending February 2020; not from human milk)
- GENTLE FORMULA + IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similac Pro-Total Comfort is a gentle formula with partially hydrolyzed protein and Human Milk Oligosaccharide (2’-FL HMO), an immune-nourishing prebiotic like that found in breast milk (Not from human milk)
- LESS FUSSINESS & CRYING: Parents reported a significant reduction in fussiness, gassiness, and crying after just 1 day of feeding (After switching to Similac Pro-Total Comfort). Lactose content is less than 2%
- TRUSTED: Similac is the #1 infant formula brand chosen by moms and the #1 brand fed in hospitals (total US infant formula all outlets as of 3/31/18, Nielsen data)
- BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E – nutrients also found in breast milk – helps support baby’s overall growth and brain and eye development. Not for infants with galactosemia
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Formula for Gassy Babies
One relatively frustrating thing when you are a parent is having all these questions and facing a hard time to find answers. But as annoying as it is, we have to understand that it is also perfectly normal, especially for first-time parents. Finding the best formula to use for gassy babies is far from easy. But then again, if somebody told you that anything would be accessible when you are a parent lied to you. When you decide to bring a child into the world, you need to get ready to face all kinds of big and small challenges. Compared to different problems you might and will have to tackle throughout your child’s life, this can be considered minor and relatively easily solvable.
However, when your little one has tummy trouble, of course, you don’t want to wait for a second to help them. We all know how annoying stomach ache and gas can be, even if not a big deal in general.
There are so many producers of formulas for gassy babies that it would be surprised you managed not to be overwhelmed. With such an enormous choice and each company claiming that their product is the best formula for gas, you might think that the only option you have is to test each of them. But that would not only cost a lot of time and money but prolong your little one’s troubles.
What can you do then? Well, you are in luck. We understand the problem you are in, as we have been in the same situation not so long ago. Therefore we decided to investigate and share our findings on gassy babies formula.
That said, we will present you with information on top rated formula for gassy babies with the desire to make your selection process simpler. Join us to see what we prepared and what makes the best formula for gassy babies 2020.
What Causes Gas in Newborns
You should keep in mind that gas isn’t anything else than simply air in the stomach or bowels. In many cases, babies are not bothered by this, but sometimes these air bubbles in the digestive tract can be quite painful. Seeing your baby suffering is very disturbing, but you should know that there aren’t any reasons for concern, and there are a lot of things you can do to soothe the little one such as, for instance, finding an anti gas formula.
Almost all babies experience gas trouble in some moments between the first day and 4 or 6 months of their lives and after it usually goes away. Looking at the causes, the most obvious is, of course, swallowing air. This can happen with breastfed babies as well if they are eating in a specific position. Same stands for babies who eat formula. Other causes may include:
- Crying. If a baby is crying too much, they will swallow air at some point, and you might hear them passing gas after. Now it is not simple to determine whether they are crying because they are full of gas or they become gassy because of crying.
- Digestive issues. Sometimes babies can get constipated, especially if they are formula fed. It is also possible, although much less common than they have GI problems like reflux. In the case of constipation, what can help is the best formula for constipation and gas. If you think your kid has reflux or some other more severe GI problem, the best is to consult a pediatrician and maybe use baby formula for sensitive stomachs.
- Young digestive tract. Even if it is just liquid, babies are only learning how to digest food. If a newborn is experiencing gas, maybe you can solve a problem by switching to the best organic formula for gassy babies.
- Stomach bug. Who doesn’t know this little annoyance? We have all been at least once in the situation to catch the gastrointestinal virus. This virus causes different stomach problems, diarrhea, vomiting, and of course, gas.
- New food. Infants can experience gas when they are starting to eat solid food as well. If this happens, it is time to consider switching to the best infant formula for gassiness.
Signs of a Gassy Baby
Besides grunting and making grimaces common signs that your kid has a problem with gas are:
- Crying while passing gas or immediately after
- Pulling up the legs and squirming
- Passing gas
- A stomach that appears swollen
Do Formulas for Gassy Babies Really Help
In short, yes. These newborn gas relief formula options are made with ingredients that have a soothing effect on sensitive stomachs. It doesn’t mean though that just any baby formula for gassy babies will necessarily work in the case of your child. You will have to find the best formula for gas pains that suits the particular needs of your kid.
Can Changing Baby Formula Cause Problems
On its own, switching or mixing baby formulas doesn’t cause any problems. However, if there are some ingredients in the formula that don’t suit your child, it might cause some digestive issues, including gas. The more you are shaking and blending the formula, the higher are chances for little one to experience gas. Pediatricians usually advise changing to the best baby formula for gas.
How to Choose the Best Formula for Gassy Babies
We are going to look now at some critical factors that can help us choose the best formula for gassy babies.
When you are choosing the best formula for newborns with gas or infant formula for gas, you have to look for ingredients. The main reason is that gas is often caused by lactose intolerance, so you have to make sure that there are no traces of it in this formula. In this situation, soy formula for gassy babies might be an ideal solution. Also, a sensitive stomach might have trouble digesting some proteins. Then, of course , you will hear a lot of people saying that breast milk is the best because it is natural, unlike formula that is often synthetic. However, you can look for formula for gassy fussy babies that contain predominantly natural ingredients. Some formulas won’t have any sugar, and you might think it is a healthier option for your child. Nevertheless, pay attention to whether your best formula for colic and gas has corn syrup because this might be useful. You might wonder why when this is along with sucrose on the list of carbohydrates that should be avoided. Well, that’s true, but the thing that when your kid is allergic or intolerant to lactose, they aren’t really getting enough carbohydrates, and one way to compensate is by adding corn syrup. Now, of course, this should be only a temporary solution until your little one’s digestive system matures enough to break down food without problems.
Vitamins and Nutrients
Now when you are nursing, your kid is getting all the necessary vitamins and other nutrients through breast milk. If you are feeding the child with a formula, you have to make sure that these are included. A well made and nutritious right formula for gassy babies needs to contain Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids like DHA and ARA, proteins, iron, and everything else that is necessary for your little one’s proper development.
Easy to Digest
So naturally, when you are looking for the best formula for gassy breastfed babies or babies, in general, you need to make sure that it is easy to digest. Otherwise, things don’t make much sense because gas problems often happen when kids have trouble understanding food.
It is super hard to see a child in pain even when you know that it is not caused by something severe. It is essential to look for the best organic baby formula for gas problems that can quickly bring relief to your baby. Fortunately, many products that you can find on the market are very efficient, and you will notice a change soon after switching.
There are few formula styles- liquid concentrate, ready to use, powder that you need to combine with water. There are no specific criteria to decide which one is the best. Whichever you just make sure that it is by your baby’s preferences and needs.
An important thing to know about the powder formula for gassy babies is that it is not sterile. Because of this, pediatricians recommend waiting until your child turns two months to start with powder formulas for colic and gas. Once you open the formula, it is necessary to keep it in a dry and cool place, not in the fridge.
This is a sterile formula in the sense that it is germ-free, and thus it is safe for newborns from day one. To use it, you just need to add water as directed and shake well before giving best glass baby bottles to a baby.
Prices of a formula for colic baby or gassy baby don’t vary so much. However, there are, of course, those that are considered the higher end and more affordable options. Considering you will use a formula for some time, you should choose per your budget.
Best Formula for Gassy Babies Types
Cow Milk Protein-Based Formulas
The majority of formulas are made of cow milk that has been changed to imitate breast milk. Because of it, this formula has the right amount of nutrients, and it is easy to digest. Babies mainly react well to this formula, but in some cases, they can be allergic to proteins found in cow’s milk, and they need another type of formula for gassy babies.
These formulas are useful is you don’t want to give your kid any kind of animal protein. Also, they are a good option for those children who are allergic or intolerant to cow milk or lactose. Nevertheless, babies can also be allergic to soy milk.
Best Formula for Gassy Babies FAQ
Can Mixing Breastmilk and Formula Cause Gas
Many mothers combine breastfeeding and formula feeding to increase milk supply. This is usually called supplementing, and it is entirely okay and pretty safe. Most doctors even recommend it. Now, adding formula to your babies diet can change the consistency and the pattern of your baby’s poop. Consequently, it can cause constipation and gas
Does Formula Make Baby Gassy
Not necessarily. Many babies eat formula and don’t experience any problems. Some others, however, can be allergic or intolerant to an ingredient found in formula or simply have more sensitive stomachs. In this case, they will experience gas, but if you replace the formula that you are using with the best formula for gassy babies, the problem should go away.
When Do Babies Stop Having Gas Pains
It is a bit difficult to give a definitive answer to this question. Each child is unique, and it depends pretty much on a child’s digestive system. What we can say is that on average, most babies start having gas pain from the beginning, and this lasts until they are four or six months old. However, some babies can experience stomach problems for a longer time. It is not uncommon that infants have gas when they start eating solid food. Besides formula for gassy babies, you can use other things like gripe water to ease the pain.
How Do I Know if My Baby Has Gas
We have mentioned before what are the signs that your baby is bothered by gas. It is pretty straightforward to understand. If your little one is crying while passing gas or after, then they have a problem. Grunting, grimacing, and squirming is also a pretty usual sign that your baby is having gas pains.
Does Warm Formula Help With Gas
It is something that a lot of people wonder – maybe because it helps to warm the baby’s tummy when they have gas or some other reason. But generally, there is no scientific research that links the temperature of the milk with digestion. Some babies simply like cold food, while others prefer it lukewarm. Babies who are also breastfed may warm formula more because it reminds them of generally warmer breast milk.
Does Cold Formula Cause Gas
It depends on the baby; thus, it is not possible to give a straightforward answer. A lot of babies don’t like cold milk, especially those who are drinking mother’s milk and formula. And some babies who drink cold formula do have gas, but until now, we don’t have clear facts that can support the idea that cold formula causes it.
Does Soy Formula Help With Gas
Well, we already talked about soy-based formula as a good option if you want to avoid animal products. As far as gas problems go, since there are no lactose or cow milk proteins, it can be beneficial for gassy babies. However, some babies can also be intolerant or allergic to some ingredients found in soy formulas and thus have gas.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Anyone who ever experienced painful gas knows well how bad it can get, even for adults, let alone for babies. When you are a parent of a child who has gas problems, it can be super frustrating when you don’t know how to help. Thankfully as you can see, many formulas can help ease this problem and make yours and your babies live better. We hope that this text helped you figure out how to find the best formula for gassy babies 2020. We also hope you again because top –mom.com always thinks of you and prepares a lot of interesting texts like the one about why is tummy time important.
- 1 TOP 10 Best Baby Formula For Gassy Babies: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall: Baby’s Only LactoRelief with DHA & ARA Toddler Formula Review
- 1.2 Best Budget: Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Baby Formula Review
- 1.3 Best Organic: Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula Review
- 1.4 Best With Iron: Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron Review
- 1.5 NON-GMO: Similac Pro-Sensitive Non-GMO Infant Formula with Iron Review
- 1.6 Best Hypoallergenic: Enfamil Nutramigen Hypoallergenic Colic Baby Formula Review
- 1.7 Best to Reduce Spit Up: Enfamil A.R. Spit Up Baby formula gentle Milk Powder Refill Review
- 1.8 Easy on baby’s tummy: Plum Organics, Organic Infant Formula with Iron Review
- 1.9 Best Soy-Based: Enfamil ProSobee Soy Sensitive Tummy Baby Formula Review
- 1.10 Easy-to-Digest: Similac Pro-Total Comfort Infant Formula Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Formula for Gassy Babies
- 2.1 What Causes Gas in Newborns
- 2.2 Signs of a Gassy Baby
- 2.3 Do Formulas for Gassy Babies Really Help
- 2.4 Can Changing Baby Formula Cause Problems
- 2.5 How to Choose the Best Formula for Gassy Babies
- 2.6 Best Formula for Gassy Babies Types
- 3 Best Formula for Gassy Babies FAQ
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020