- 1 What is an Apron Belly?
- 2 How To Get Rid of Apron Belly?
- 3 How to Hide Apron Belly?
- 4 Tips to Maintain Hygiene With Apron Belly
- 5 Final Word
Lucky are those few who do not gain extra weight after pregnancy or delivery. But most women around the world tend to gain weight vivaciously after having a baby. This so-called apron belly can not only cause you to shy away from wearing your favorite little black dress but could also affect your health. The worst thing is, the more you ignore it, the more difficult it will be to get rid of it.
But don’t worry, there are actually plenty of ways you can get rid of a pannus stomach, and we’ll help you learn how!
What is an Apron Belly?
An apron belly is a condition where the fats surrounding our internal organ increases. This happens mostly during pregnancy. It is the body’s defense mechanism to form a sort of cushion to avert accidents. This leads to a layer of fat in the omentum creating abdominal aprons.
And this could happen to everyone who has gained considerable belly fat, which especially happens after pregnancy.
Since apron belly is usually a visceral fat, there are a lot of dangers associated with this condition:
What Are the Risks of Apron Belly Fat?
The fat that develops between and around internal organs can generate toxins that affect your day to day bodily functions. It can increase your chance of getting certain types of cancers like ovarian one. It can also lead to type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
Apron belly fat can also lower your self-esteem and restrict or limit certain activities such as rigorous workouts, hiking, etc. it can also cause general breathing problems.
How To Get Rid of Apron Belly?
It may be a little difficult to begin but trust us, with some determination you can get rid of that stubborn pannus stomach pretty soon. Sometimes people claim that liposuction is the fastest and best way, but this is a very risky and costly method. There are many ways how to get rid of apron belly without surgery, so don’t be discouraged just yet! You can get rid of this annoying apron belly with the help of:
Having a healthy lifestyle is step one of conquering the weight loss program. Healthy lifestyle means:
- Having a balanced diet: going on a crash diet will not solve your problem and may further accelerate it. Instead, have a diet that consists of balanced nutrients from every category. Often people think that cutting solely on fat will help them but unless you have a balanced regime of food, your body will begin to revolt. Another great, proven method of quickly losing fat and improving health is intermittent fasting.
- Eat healthily: junk food is one of the main reasons for weight gain, so make sure to limit, or better yet get rid of any fast food in your menu. They add zero nutritional value, and extra inches on your wait.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is one of the most effective ways to battle apron belly. Although it can be really difficult for new moms, do try to get at least 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Exercise: do some exercise daily if you really want to get rid of that postpartum belly wrap. So make sure you’re getting enough activity, and that pannus stomach will be replaced by a toned and beautiful one!
An effective weight loss program will help you deal with stomach aprons, but not everyone can lift heavy weight and exercise heavily. People who find it difficult to begin with a rigorous workout routine like weight lifting can begin with mild, low impact exercises, yoga, swimming, dancing e.t.c.
Just do try to be regular and do not skip your workout. We know how difficult it can be for you to hit a gym if you are a mom, but you can often do a lot of training, even if you can’t go to a gym. Just try to move more overall: walk around the house, try some YouTube fitness videos and try to eat less. For that you can try some calorie counter apps, or just try one of the variations of the intermittent fasting.
Often, people or websites will feed you with myths when it comes to weight loss. Do not fall for such myths as nutrition has its own way of functioning. No erratic routine or magic potion can make you lose 10 pounds in a week.
Get Your Hormones Checked
It is natural to have major hormonal changes during pregnancy but it is supposed to come back to normal slowly and steadily. Usually the first symptoms of the hormonal imbalances are irritation, mood swings, dry skin, difficulty sleeping e.t.c. So if you notice any of these symptoms, it’s best to consult with an endocrinologist or your family doctor.
Surgical and Non-Surgical Treatments
- Laser: If you are in a hurry to reduce your belly fat, you can opt for laser treatment. It involves laser rays to melt the excess fat in your body.
- CoolSculpting Procedure: This procedure involves freezing your belly fat. Once they are frozen, your body will automatically eliminate them over time.
- Panniculectomy: Another way to remove your apron belly after c section is to undergo panniculectomy. It is the procedure of removing your belly fat with the help of surgery. Unlike a tummy tuck, it does not tighten the muscles in your abdomen but removes it entirely. You may also find certain insurance companies that cover the cost of your surgery.
However, you must always be aware of the side effects that it comes with. Since it is a surgery, it is bound to come with its risks. Some of the risks are infection, bleeding, hematoma, persistent pain, and others. So make sure you are weighing all your risks and gains before you decide to make such a choice.
How to Hide Apron Belly?
You can try hiding your apron belly by choosing the right kind of clothing. Different fabrics, different colors, and different patterns can make your body look different. They create an illusion of your being slimmer than you really are. Try wearing the following kind of clothes:
- Plus size dresses: wear plus size skirts, tunics, leggings, and Capri. Body-hugging clothes will only make the mother’s apron belly more visible.
- Long tops: tops that cover the hips will give an illusion of continuity and length blurring the protruding belly.
- Darker clothes: dark colors, especially black always make you look a little thinner than you are.
- Flowy dresses: waistless dresses or dresses that flow from the chest downwards will help you conceal the fat better than bodycon or peplum dresses.
- High-rise knickers: high rise tight knickers can squeeze and accumulate the abdomen fat making it appear tight and minimized.
- Body-shapers: these work just as high rise briefs but much better.
Tips to Maintain Hygiene With Apron Belly
Reducing Dampness and Moisture
Wherever there is excessive fat in your body, the area is subjected to sweat and moisture. If not taken care of properly, it may cause breakouts, rashes, irritation, or even ulcers.
Coconut oil has amazing healing and moisturizing properties. The apron belly after C-section tends to get very dry and itchy. Coconut oil can be your best friend due to its natural antiseptic and antifungal properties.
Use a Hand Shower
While showering, water may not be able to reach every fold of your belly and thus using a hand shower to keep the folds clean can help you maintain hygiene.
You cannot escape the fact that pregnancy will change your body, and you will most likely gain weight during pregnancy, and sometimes even after it. But that does not mean you cannot control it!. An apron belly is not a mountain that you cannot overcome. With perseverance and self-love, you can easily embark on this journey and conquer it! So don’t lose your hope and determination, and know that you CAN do it, as long as you don’t give up, and stay focused! We wish you all the best on your journey, and would be happy to hear about your progress!