Ameda Finesse and Spectra S2: Brief Comparison
In the text that follows, we are going to talk about different features of two popular breast pumps – Ameda finesse and Spectra S2. You will notice there are plenty of similarities between the characteristics of these pumps, as well as some differences. These differences can be significant when you are deciding which one of these two models to buy.
|Details||Spectra S2||Ameda Finesse|
|Weight||2.9 pounds||1.1 pounds|
Ameda Finesse Overview
- CONVENIENT AND EASY: The lightweight and portable Finesse Double Electric Breast Pump features adjustable speed and suction, making it easy to set pump to perfectly fit your comfort, time and milk expressing needs. Convenient Dottie Tote bag for travel.
- SAMPLE OUR WARES: The Ameda Finesse Breast Pump also comes with sample packs of our NoShow Premium Disposable Nursing Pads to prevent leaking that can stain your clothes, and our Store N Pour Breast Milk Storage Bags for convenient storage of breast milk.
- SUPPORT FOR YOUR PUMPING: As part of our mission to empower you achieve your breastfeeding goals, we provide a wide suite of breast pumps, breast milk storage and nursing and pumping accessories to make your experience more comfortable, safe & convenient.
- THE FIRST NAME IN BREAST PUMPS. Each of our highest quality breast pumps are made with what we call The Ameda Difference. Our breast pumps have been used by top healthcare institutions and millions of mothers to provide the best nutrition for their babies.
- QUALITY BEYOND COMPARE: The Ameda Difference means we stand by our breastfeeding products. Compare Ameda's line of breastfeeding aids and pumps to products from Lansinoh, Baby Baby, bamboobies, elfinbaby, NatureBond, Milkies, Motherlove, Little Martin's.
The Ameda finesse breast pump is considered as one of the most potent models today. You can use this machine at home but also when you are traveling. That is because it can work with AA batteries as well. Weighing only 1.1 pounds it is also considered as a pretty lightweight unit. All parts of Ameda finesse have been sterilized, and you can use it straight out of a box. Since it is a hospital grade breast pump, Ameda comes with a closed system, which means that the milk cannot enter the engine regardless of what you do. The fact that the milk goes directly into the container is significant as it prevents any chance of contamination. Another reason why we like Ameda is that it comes with a lot of parts and accessories, including a bag in which you can put everything you need. The main challenge, according to Ameda finesse reviews, is that you have to change the dials each time before switching between vacuum and speed settings.
Pros & Cons
Spectra S2 Overview
- Super quiet, Letdown mode and fully adjustable program to best suit your body
- Closed system - hygienic for you and baby
- Night light and timer
- Everything you need for double pumping
- Powerful, adjustable suction yet so comfortable you won't realize how powerful it is
Looking at Spectra S reviews, we notice that it is also a hospital-grade model with a closed system. One of the reasons that such a popular moms’ choice is that it is super silent. You can express milk freely without worrying about waking up the little one. It comes with an auto timer, which is vital when you forget to switch off after using it. You might be surprised now if the baby still didn’t arrive, but you will see that it can happen when you need to catch sleep whenever possible. Spectra S2 comes with a convenient handle that enables you to carry it easily wherever you go. It weighs 2.9 pounds. Spectra features a cool digital screen that shows the amount of time you spend pumping, that is something pretty convenient, especially if you are waking up in the middle of the night to pump. The massage mode makes that the extraction process is super gentle.
Pros & Cons
Ameda Finesse vs Spectra S2: the Differences
Alright now, when we got informed about the general features of both pumps, let’s see the differences between Ameda finesse vs Spectra S2. As you can see, there are plenty of similarities here as well, but there are some significant differences that make them stand out each of its ways. These differences between Spectra S2 vs Ameda finesse are of interest because they can determine which of the two models is more appropriate for your particular needs.
- The first dissimilarity you notice when you review Ameda vs Spectra is that the first one can run on batteries while the other one cannot. Both of them are portable indeed, but using Ameda when you are not at home might be more comfortable for this reason if you are not sure to always have access to power outlets.
- Another thing that is different between Ameda vs Spectra breast pump is the weight. As we mentioned, Ameda weighs twice as little as Spectra.
- The third difference between Ameda finesse vs Spectra S2 breast pump is that Spectra is equipped with a digital screen, timer, and nightlight, while Ameda isn’t.
- Finally, the flanges are also different. Spectra features two flanges, one 24 mm in size and the other one 28 mm. Ameda, on the other hand, comes with two 25 mm and two 35 mm CustomFit flanges.
Is Electric or Manual Breast Pump Better?
In all honesty, it is hard to find a straightforward answer to this question, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both options. We can say that manual pumps are a better choice if you don’t need to pump often. They are also a good option when you are on a budget or when you want something super lightweight and portable to be able to extract the milk during your travel.
Electric pumps are, on the other hand, the best option for moms who need to pump every day or have twins. They are also convenient when you don’t have a lot of time. With a manual pump, you are expressing by hand, so reasonably, it more time than with an electric that does the job in 15-20 minutes. Also, an electric breast pump allows you to do other things because your hands are free.
When to Express My Breast Milk?
Generally speaking, it indeed depends on your personal choices and needs. But, yes, some situations entail that you use a breast pump. Moms who have to return to work, but don’t want to switch to formula benefit from the possibility to express. Also, if your breasts are engorged or you have some health issues, the expression is recommended. Additionally, some babies refuse or are unable to latch or suck for various reasons. In this case, to give a little one breast milk, you have to express.
How Long Should I Pump?
A lot of women are wondering about this. In general, experts agree that the best pumping time should be about 20 minutes. They say 15 minutes is the minimum and that you should continue for 5 minutes after even if the milk stops flowing as it sends the message that you need more milk. That way supply increases over time. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t pump much more than 20 minutes.
After all this, we can say that decision on a better option between Ameda Finesse vs Spectra S2 is sort of a close call as they are both excellent breast pumps and provide all pumping benefits. Both have fantastic features – they are quiet, lightweight, portable, and they both come with a closed system. However, after researching, testing, and going through breast pump reviews, we decided that the title of the winner should go to Ameda Finesse. The main reason for making this decision is that Ameda runs on batteries as well, which makes it more convenient for traveling.